Drip system without the pressure regulator?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
hi ,

anybody here running a drip system without the pressure regulator?
what would be the problem i will encounter without one?

thanks.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I suppose you could just put a valve on it and shut it back

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
without regulating pressure the flow will change every time you flush the toilet. Probably not the end of the world if you don't mind.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Ticking time bomb. My regulator for the house ( at the city main) was out when we moved in and I didn’t know. Those are supposed to be replaced every five years and I never knew that.

I didn’t check it and just started the system up and came close to killing off a couple tanks. The pressure was at 110 or some rediculous number so it blew the emitters off the line at night. Cold water at high pressure will fail if not controlled well.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Yep I highly suggest a regulator even with a flow valve. I have a valve to shut off/on the drip system water line and even with it almost closed is easily 50 psi plus. Got my regulator off amazon for like 35-40 bucks . It’s made for people with RVs hooking up to water lines where they park and has been great so far. Can fine tune it to any pressure I want ( I keep it at about 20/25 psi).

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I use a faucet and simply regulate flow with that. I am fine with the inherent variability, after all, influx in natural bodies of water varies as well. And my Chemilizer injects conditioner based on actual flow.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Sorry I’m a bit late responding but I have found that plastic store bought regulators are very inaccurate. If you are going to regulate the flow I would suggest buying a lead free, low PSI, brass pressure regulator from a plumbing supplier, or if you can online.
Personally, I adapted two 1/4” John guest ball valves to a 1/4 turn hose bib. I turned the hose bib almost all the way off to reduce the pressure, and then the second JG valve is turned to achieve my desired drip GPH and the third JG valve is on full.
If I ever want to test the accuracy of the drip I can just shut the third valve off, pop out the 1/4” tubing going to my sump, and put it into a bucket to test.
This is all run after a sediment filter and two carbon block filters which I would highly recommend if you are worried about chlorine and/or chloramines.

Reactions: twentyleagues

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I use a faucet and simply regulate flow with that. I am fine with the inherent variability, after all, influx in natural bodies of water varies as well. And my Chemilizer injects conditioner based on actual flow.
This is very smart as you reduce the likelihood of having a fitting or valve fail and/or burst. You could also temper your water very easily if needed. I appreciate the simplicity yet genius of this concept!

Reactions: HarleyK

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Sorry to derail but can you show us how the chemilizer looks in your drip system. Thanks in advance.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If you call bulk reef supply, or some other fish place on the internet, they can sell you one of these.... https://www.h2odistributors.com/flow550

just buy a couple foot of that vinyl hose at Home Depot, and push it in the ends of this "flow restrictor", done. For under $10.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store