dwarf botia

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I just bought a dwarf botia AKA chain loach. At $15 this is the most expensive fish I own. I am researching them and it says they need to be in large shoals with 5 being the absolute minimum. I'm not sure if I have room for 5, and I definitely can't afford to buy four more at the moment. Will being alone seriously impact it's health and well-being?

I work at a pet store and I am always a strong advocate of keeping fish together that like to be in schools or shoals. Every day I work I have to tell someone "you should really get a big group of these guys, they like to be together" sometimes people ignore me and sometimes they comply.

I guess I will ask if you think I'll be overstocked if I get 4 more, and then I'll work on save up or maybe order them cheaper online somewhere.

20 Long

2 peacock gudgeons
2 dwarf frogs
3 upside-down catfish
1 apple snail
1 dwarf botia/chain loach (+ 4? )

Or maybe I could put all 5 in my 29 gallon but I like to keep it understocked because I don't have an air bubbler in there.

1 angelfish
7 cardinal tetras
2 cory cats
1 ghost shrimp
( +5 dwarf botia/chain loach?)

thanks MFK community

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
More loaches, more Cory cats! I don't think you're anywhere near being overstocked to the point where you should worry... I don't even want to tell you what's in my 33 gallon right now. ;)
BTW what does an air bubble have to do with stocking?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Well I'm not really sure if an air bubbler is necessary or not so I'm kind of experimenting with my 29G. All I have is a HOB filter running. There are a lot of live plants, so I don't know if that helps. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm hurting my fish by not having an air bubbler?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Just for fun here's my 35 stock:

3 Molly (all female)
1 Sailfin Molly (female)
2 Celebes Rainbowfish
2 Endler's (pair)
2 Fiddler crabs
1 red-nosed shrimp
2 nerite snails

I think I'm doing a good job of keeping understocked across the board. I'd like to add a bunch of little gobies to this tank (bumblebee gobies and rhinohorn gobies) and that will also help stir up the sand bed I hope.

Mark Duffill

Feeder Fish
Lone specimens can become reclusive and sometimes aggresive towards tank mates, even sidthimunki's can tear at fins especially corydoras dorsal fins, the first 10 that I got had to be housed short term with a group of C. sterbai and within a week none of the cories had any dorsal fine left apart from the first ray.

I now have well over 60 sidthimunki and they are fine with anything as the group is big enough for them not to bother anything else.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
How do I get cheap munkis?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store