e-cat info?

bryan.olsen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
vancouver wa
hey ive had an electric cat for about 2 months not and i love the little fella,a very active eater,he did paralize my electric blue chlid(not so electric) but other than that it doesnt really bother any other fish, ive been feeding it earthworms and carnivore pellets . ive been curious about growth rates, tolerable tankmates, and prefered foods. anyone here keep this cat? anyone got pics?

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I kept an Electric Catfish for about 6 months until a bad tank crash when I was out of town killed it. I loved that fish they are great catfish and very personable. The only known "safe" tankmates that I have heard of and or tested are synodontis specie of catfish. They are immune to the shock. I kept 3 synodontis multipunctatus and 2 synodontis flavitaeniatus with mine. My E cat was around 10-11". I should be picking some more up soon when I have the tank space. I fed nightcrawlers primarily and bloodworms occasionally and it seemed to be working great, he loved the nightcrawlers. I would recommend a sand substrate probably and a few hiding spots. I've read they really like rock hiding spots like slate and such but I had a large driftwood piece that mine liked more then the rock area I built for him. Growth rate between 1-2" a month I'd say depending on how your feeding. ~Trent

Pics

jimmy4.jpg

ecattank1.jpg

ecattank4.jpg

jimmy2.jpg

jimmy5.jpg

bryan.olsen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
vancouver wa
hey awesome cat man, i have a ratpheal cat, red devil, 2 oscars and 1 pleco and i havent seen any damage or aggressiveness yet,(except for the blue)i know it will probably occur at night, mine is about 8' and as soon as a nightcrawler hits the water hes all over the place lookin for his share, its great. you ever felt its shock? im really curious but kinda a sissy... lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store