Eared slider 4 inch Turtle with 3 gars one 6 inch and two14 inch

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
I just wanna know if i can keep them together when i get my turtle on 7th October and(please i dont have experience with reptiles please give me some beginners advice cause online research is some times false please share your experience guys)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I had a red eared slider someone abondaned on Brooklyn Beach in NY for a couple of months until i found someone to adopt it. I did not keep it with fish, but here is what I learned. It needs 3 islands: one under a heat lamp, one under a UV lamp for its shell, and one in the shade. It needs to be fed raw fish and fish food and bugs and veggies, and while it will happily eat hamburger meat, chicken and hot dogs, that is not healthy for it. Itlikes to have a shallow spot where it can stand in the water with its nose poking out, and it needs A LOT of waterchanges. Like 3x whatever you do for your fish. It also needs to be kept somewhere that isn't to noisy, or it will be nervous to come out of its shell. It also could use a rather large tank. They like to swim and are rather clumsy, with a big turning circle compared to a fish, so they need a lot of room to be comfortable. If you are going to hand feed it, know in advance that even a tiny trtle has a powerful bite, and keep your fingers clear.

Reactions: Exp and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It could be risky to house the red ear with fish that you intend on keeping. As jh mentioned fish are a part of their natural diet and if given the right opportunity it may snap your gars in half and chew up the pieces. They are very messy eaters, huge poops, and when they shed you have big scales floating around in the tank. They are neat to watch and a fun pet but might be a bad idea to keep with your fish.

Some times you can get away with having fish in their tank, but my experience is if they get an opportunity the fish will be food

Reactions: Exp

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
I had a red eared slider someone abondaned on Brooklyn Beach in NY for a couple of months until i found someone to adopt it. I did not keep it with fish, but here is what I learned. It needs 3 islands: one under a heat lamp, one under a UV lamp for its shell, and one in the shade. It needs to be fed raw fish and fish food and bugs and veggies, and while it will happily eat hamburger meat, chicken and hot dogs, that is not healthy for it. Itlikes to have a shallow spot where it can stand in the water with its nose poking out, and it needs A LOT of waterchanges. Like 3x whatever you do for your fish. It also needs to be kept somewhere that isn't to noisy, or it will be nervous to come out of its shell. It also could use a rather large tank. They like to swim and are rather clumsy, with a big turning circle compared to a fish, so they need a lot of room to be comfortable. If you are going to hand feed it, know in advance that even a tiny trtle has a powerful bite, and keep your fingers clear.
No hand feeding cause of the risk of salmonella through bite

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Reactions: Matteus

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
Yeah and I also have a small bro 2 years what should iIdo he very naught and tries to touch the water

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I’ve kept a few turtles and my first one was my favourite, it was a map turtle and was swimming all the time, I had a above tank basking platform at first but then I decided to use a peice of cork bark wedged in between the glass, I had a uv strip light so they always had uv and had a ceramic heat bulb for the heat lamp. He was fine with fish and only chased them when they were first added. I also had a musk turtle that would kill any fish he could but some were too fast. It really depends on the turtle

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
I’ve kept a few turtles and my first one was my favourite, it was a map turtle and was swimming all the time, I had a above tank basking platform at first but then I decided to use a peice of cork bark wedged in between the glass, I had a uv strip light so they always had uv and had a ceramic heat bulb for the heat lamp. He was fine with fish and only chased them when they were first added. I also had a musk turtle that would kill any fish he could but some were too fast. It really depends on the turtle
The feeling I'm getting is that gar might attack him as well cause they are almost thrice his size and his an ear slider I live in india and there arena variety turtle here and no online pet store as well and native species are banned

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store