East not North

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Although I had three sudden deaths last year, I still wanted some. The wet season ended three months ago, and as the waterways subside, this is a good time for the collection of fish.

They may be known as Northern Thai Tigers to you, they don't come from the north of Thailand (where I am), they come from where the Mekong river flows by the most eastern part of Thailand (even the the Mekong does flow past part of the North too). I ordered a box of twenty, which came overnight by bus.

a.IMG_20230127_195223.jpg

a.IMG_20230127_195422.jpg

rayluc

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
mfk
Although I had three sudden deaths last year, I still wanted some. The wet season ended three months ago, and as the waterways subside, this is a good time for the collection of fish.

They may be known as Northern Thai Tigers to you, they don't come from the north of Thailand (where I am), they come from where the Mekong river flows by the most eastern part of Thailand (even the the Mekong does flow past part of the North too). I ordered a box of twenty, which came overnight by bus.

View attachment 1511737

View attachment 1511738
Nice ntt. How much do they go for in Thailand?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Buying a bunch of them together, and including carriage, they worked out at five dollars (equivalent) each. Buying them individually in a LFS could cost quite a bit more.
I just noticed this thread today,so how is the group doing thus far?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I just noticed this thread today,so how is the group doing thus far?
Within a few days, three of the twenty had died. I think the total stress of being caught, housed temporarily at the source, sent overnight and then rehoused again, was too much. I think a small fraction might die with any wild caught group. I did treat them with para for gill flukes and levamisole for internal.

The remaining seventeen are alive and well. They stay in my big tank with a few much larger IT and a couple of NGT. They stick to the bottom and close to wood. Very similar to C Cichlids+Oddballs ' thread . They have not grown particularly in the last three months, but it was cool. They mostly ate ghost shrimp. Now the weather - and the water in the tank - is much warmer, and they are devouring tilapia fry at night. Most definitely nocturnal camouflaged ambush predators. I expect to see growth in the next few months.

In contrast, I just got a small AT yesterday. Very outgoing and very bright.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Within a few days, three of the twenty had died. I think the total stress of being caught, housed temporarily at the source, sent overnight and then rehoused again, was too much. I think a small fraction might die with any wild caught group. I did treat them with para for gill flukes and levamisole for internal.

The remaining seventeen are alive and well. They stay in my big tank with a few much larger IT and a couple of NGT. They stick to the bottom and close to wood. Very similar to C Cichlids+Oddballs ' thread . They have not grown particularly in the last three months, but it was cool. They mostly ate ghost shrimp. Now the weather - and the water in the tank - is much warmer, and they are devouring tilapia fry at night. Most definitely nocturnal camouflaged ambush predators. I expect to see growth in the next few months.

In contrast, I just got a small AT yesterday. Very outgoing and very bright.
Yes,every AT I've had was very active and easy to feed unlike NTT which are notoriously stubborn when it comes to food training.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store