Easy plants

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
As said above anubias and Java moss are probably the easiest plants, as they could live with the dimmest lights. Java fern and Val are also very easy but will require a decent light for it to grow fast. Dwarf Lily’s/loctus are very easy to grow, and will provide a wide coverage with some stalks. Floating plants are easy, but can become annoying when they take over the entire surface.
This is a 5 year old anubias petite nana, gets very rewarding over years.

2CC1B410-92C5-4B19-BA7A-1A0B72D319D0.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As said above anubias and Java moss are probably the easiest plants, as they could live with the dimmest lights. Java fern and Val are also very easy but will require a decent light for it to grow fast. Dwarf Lily’s/loctus are very easy to grow, and will provide a wide coverage with some stalks. Floating plants are easy, but can become annoying when they take over the entire surface.
This is a 5 year old anubias petite nana, gets very rewarding over years.

View attachment 1453247
Very nice looking Nana Petite. Do you feed fert's.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Beannose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
I've got my soil should I remove lumps of wood and the odd larger stones as it was a cheaper soil aka pond soil so far sifted abit and its nice and fluffy seems pretty good it will be coverd over by gravel after woods

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve done dirt tanks and in my opinion for the plants you are asking about.
Especially pretty much all that’s been listed In this thread.
Dirt will be more hassle than it’s worth.
But yes you should remove bits of wood and rocks.

Beannose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
I’ve done dirt tanks and in my opinion for the plants you are asking about.
Especially pretty much all that’s been listed In this thread.
Dirt will be more hassle than it’s worth.
But yes you should remove bits of wood and rocks.
Ah okay well the only reason why I am adding dirt because eventually I do intend to get co2 injection setup which would be my next question as no idea how to do that either lol

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have been using dirt in my planted tanks for 20yrs. There are some who will sift the dirt to remove all vermiculite, wood bits or chunks. I don't. I buy cheap, unfertalized and cap with fine gravel. I place a piece of fiberglass window screen between the dirt and the gravel to help keep the two from merging.
This works well for plants that get most of their nutrition through their roots. Crypts, swords, val's, or sag's.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ah okay well the only reason why I am adding dirt because eventually I do intend to get co2 injection setup which would be my next question as no idea how to do that either lol
Planning ahead is probably a good thing then.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I like using giant vallis. I find a little clay under the gravel really helps them take hold and when they do the leaves can reach up to six feet in length creating great shade for fish like snakehead or polypterus. Giant valid works well with crypts, Java fern and moss or other shade lovers.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store