nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
kinda like what rayman45 ways saying in his post " i wanna breed something"
but i want snakes not bd's.

i was thinking something not very expensive, or that i can catch. breed them, sell the babies, and maybe go into a small on the side business. i heard corn snakes, kings, and milks are easy. any suggestions and info on what makes them do their thing, would be appreciated.

thank, chris.

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
california king snakes. i think ill go with these because i can easily obtain then anywere i go. and can you please include how to sex them?
thanx

Ph0etus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Michigan
Californis Kingsnakes are extremely easy to breed. I was working with a group of them a few years back when I was big into colubrids.

If you PM me with your address I'll send you a package that will cover everything you'll need to know to breed them. I'll give you a video that goes over how to sex them, a book that covers general husbandry and breeding, along with photocopies of my notes that I made while I was breeding them.

My notes pretty much cover the weight of all the snakes that were being bred, dates of when mating took place, sheds, feeding, dates of when the eggs were laid, how many eggs where laid by each female, incubation temps, ect.

My notes are pretty detailed and should cover any extra questions you may have after watching the video and reading the book.

Ph0etus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Michigan
One thing I should also mention before you set your mind on breeding kingsnakes. kingsnakes are cannibals. When you breed them the female should always be bigger than the male, and you'll end up with some of your males getting eaten if you don't keep a close eye on them during the time that they're together.

Fishman8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
Ph0etus said:
One thing I should also mention before you set your mind on breeding kingsnakes. kingsnakes are cannibals. When you breed them the female should always be bigger than the male, and you'll end up with some of your males getting eaten if you don't keep a close eye on them during the time that they're together.
Why don't you try cornsnakes, they're easy to breed and comes in many variety of colors and doesn't grow too big!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
What about Lyre or Night snakes? I've only had one, a Sonoran, but I've always been fond of them.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
hey I caught a night snake last week in Payson AZ. I let it go...I got enough animals to worry about. Just my two cents but try western hognoses - just as easy - but there's a higher demand for them and they sell for a lot more than cali kings (in my part of the country at least). Plus they aren't nearly as active so they need much smaller caging.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I haven't like hognoses since one crapped all over me when I was nine, damn it was foul.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store