Eaten alive!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've learned not to tempt fate as well, but I admit that I didn't do so by specifically wiggling my fingers in front of any fish's mouth. I've been bitten a few times by toothy fish, usually while fishing, so I just consider the experience transferable to all other instances where a fish's teeth and part of my anatomy are in closer proximity than seems advisable.

You folks should check out a show on TV called "Kings of Pain". It follows the adventures of a couple of fellows who travel the world with the specific purpose of being bitten, stung, pinched or otherwise mutilated by assorted creepy crawlies that a sane person would know enough to avoid. They then rate the critters' danger potential in several areas: intensity of pain, duration of pain, actual damage, etc.

They've experimented with tarantulas, giant wasps, giant scorpions, assorted insects that utilize chemical weapons, snakes, monitor lizards, stonefish, lionfish, and numerous others. They dramatize it quite a bit, naturally; I've been hit by a few of those same critters at various points in my life...but not on purpose!...and most of them were much less traumatic than these guys make them out to be.

Some of them, however, are downright terrifying. Last night one of the contestants was the Orange Baboon Tarantula, commonly referred to as OBT...but that stands for Orange Bitey Thing! The spider moved like lightning, can apparently jump several feet in an eyeblink, and has no sense of humour whatsoever....and the pain associated with the bite, which can continue for days, weeks, or even years!...well, let's just say that there is not enough money in the world for me to try that stunt.

Later this season, one of the critters they will be inviting to mutilate them is the Electric Eel; they showed a brief glimpse of one of them reaching down into a tank containing an EE in the 3-4 foot range. I can't wait! :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've learned not to tempt fate as well, but I admit that I didn't do so by specifically wiggling my fingers in front of any fish's mouth. I've been bitten a few times by toothy fish, usually while fishing, so I just consider the experience transferable to all other instances where a fish's teeth and part of my anatomy are in closer proximity than seems advisable.

You folks should check out a show on TV called "Kings of Pain". It follows the adventures of a couple of fellows who travel the world with the specific purpose of being bitten, stung, pinched or otherwise mutilated by assorted creepy crawlies that a sane person would know enough to avoid. They then rate the critters' danger potential in several areas: intensity of pain, duration of pain, actual damage, etc.

They've experimented with tarantulas, giant wasps, giant scorpions, assorted insects that utilize chemical weapons, snakes, monitor lizards, stonefish, lionfish, and numerous others. They dramatize it quite a bit, naturally; I've been hit by a few of those same critters at various points in my life...but not on purpose!...and most of them were much less traumatic than these guys make them out to be.

Some of them, however, are downright terrifying. Last night one of the contestants was the Orange Baboon Tarantula, commonly referred to as OBT...but that stands for Orange Bitey Thing! The spider moved like lightning, can apparently jump several feet in an eyeblink, and has no sense of humour whatsoever....and the pain associated with the bite, which can continue for days, weeks, or even years!...well, let's just say that there is not enough money in the world for me to try that stunt.

Later this season, one of the critters they will be inviting to mutilate them is the Electric Eel; they showed a brief glimpse of one of them reaching down into a tank containing an EE in the 3-4 foot range. I can't wait! :)
It is a great show, my son absolutely loves it, but to be honest the guy isn't a full shilling, he can't be. Who the hell in their right mind would do such a thing?

I've seen most, if not all of them. Whether his actions after being bitten or stung are over the top I don't know, because I've no experience of getting nailed by any of those critters so I can only guess at the pain levels he has to endure.

The bullet ant episode though looked pretty grim for him. I believe the bullet ant sting is about as bad as stings get.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
The bullet ant episode though looked pretty grim for him. I believe the bullet ant sting is about as bad as stings get.
I’ve been stung by bull ants and green head ants, not something I’d like to do again. Very painful. Green heads bite you, then spray acid into the wound. Super painful

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
if you want a real cracker

At maximum torture:

Schmidt's original index rated only one such example, the sting of the bullet ant, as a 4.[1] Schmidt has described the sting as "pure, intense, brilliant pain...like walking over flaming charcoal with a three-inch nail embedded in your heel."[3] The bullet ant's venom primarily contains poneratoxin, a paralyzing neurotoxic peptide.[8]

Schmidt later gave the sting of a tarantula hawk species, Pepsis grossa, a rating of a 4,[2] which he described as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric",[3] though the duration of pain from the sting is short-lived, lasting only approximately five minutes.[2] The composition of tarantula hawk venom is unknown.[9]

Schmidt also rates the sting of a species of warrior wasp as a 4, describing it as "Torture. You are chained in the flow of an active volcano. Why did I start this list?",[3] saying the pain lasts up to two hours.[3]

Reactions: jjohnwm

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I find it amazing that people put themselves through sheer torture just to come up with a scale of severity, lol.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
if you want a real cracker

At maximum torture:

Schmidt's original index rated only one such example, the sting of the bullet ant, as a 4.[1] Schmidt has described the sting as "pure, intense, brilliant pain...like walking over flaming charcoal with a three-inch nail embedded in your heel."[3] The bullet ant's venom primarily contains poneratoxin, a paralyzing neurotoxic peptide.[8]

Schmidt later gave the sting of a tarantula hawk species, Pepsis grossa, a rating of a 4,[2] which he described as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric",[3] though the duration of pain from the sting is short-lived, lasting only approximately five minutes.[2] The composition of tarantula hawk venom is unknown.[9]

Schmidt also rates the sting of a species of warrior wasp as a 4, describing it as "Torture. You are chained in the flow of an active volcano. Why did I start this list?",[3] saying the pain lasts up to two hours.[3]
Hello; Watched a tarantula hawk wasp drag a paralyzed spider into the brick wall of my home last summer. Gladd i did not mess with it. Guess i will have some more hawks next spring.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; Watched a tarantula hawk wasp drag a paralyzed spider into the brick wall of my home last summer. Gladd i did not mess with it. Guess i will have some more hawks next spring.
20220805_142444.jpg
.....is there such a creature as a cicada hawk?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
For some reason, they're called "tarantula hawks", but the cicada versions are usually referred to as "cicada killers". Same idea, different prey.

If your cicadas are the same size as ours...then that is one big wasp in that pic...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store