EB Jack Dempsey

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t think they grow slower per say...I grew mine to approximately 8 inches in a year and a bit. The only time he grew slow was when he was sick and not eating properly. He always had ample room (no overstocked tank, mostly understocked ), always had regular water changes, and never spent time in a small grow out tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature, survival of the fittest weeds out the weak. In nature if only 1 individual of a spawn survives to maturity, and spawns with another fit individual, that would be success.
In aquarium breeding, often times, many more survive than are beneficial to the long term health of the species.
And in line-bred fish such as EBJDs, selection is based almost solely on color, nothing else.
This at times, sacrifices and overlooks those genes that promote good growth and health, immunity, and robustness.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have managed to get one to 4 inches in 8 months he was in an 88 lt grow out tank until last saturday I did weekly 50% water changes and fed twice daily now he is in a community tank and has to compete for food his growth may slow down I did have a regular jd some years back and my ebjd seems to have grown at the same speed. I do know the regular jds grow bigger though .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store