Echo tech marine propeller pumps for big tanks...

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Does anyone have any experience with these on larger tanks with thicker glass/acrylic? The biggest one they make is the MP60 and it’s for use on tanks up to 1” thick glass/acrylic. I was wondering if anyone’s ever tried on thicker glass... I’m looking for a power head for tank with 1-1/4” acrylic and don’t want one with the power cord in the tank.

Reactions: Matteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
They won’t work. The magnets will release once the pump turns on. The thickness indicated is an absolute maximum. Some even fail on the advertised thicknesses.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
There are some acrylic tank makers (don't remember who) that machine a thinned circular area for the placement of those pumps.

I don't know if it's a good idea but it's something that's apparently done.

Reactions: newyorkmfk

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Does anyone have any experience with these on larger tanks with thicker glass/acrylic? The biggest one they make is the MP60 and it’s for use on tanks up to 1” thick glass/acrylic. I was wondering if anyone’s ever tried on thicker glass... I’m looking for a power head for tank with 1-1/4” acrylic and don’t want one with the power cord in the tank.

Since it's acrylic, would drilling holes for a closed loop circulation be an option for you? I too don't want wires (on peninsula tank), and that is a good alternative if you do not mind additional plumbing underneath the tank.

Reactions: newyorkmfk

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Since it's acrylic, would drilling holes for a closed loop circulation be an option for you? I too don't want wires (on peninsula tank), and that is a good alternative if you do not mind additional plumbing underneath the tank.
I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing.

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Good call. You can set-up one input having multiple (loc-line) outputs. I will be plumbing my clc in my build thread too :)
Will you be plumbing both the input and output out of the main tank? Or from sump to main tank?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have 1.5" bulkhead on one end and two 3/4" bulkhead on the other end of the tank. Inlet from the 1.5" and outlet to the two using a DC pump. It wont flow through the sump.

I'll post pictures in the thread I have going on in set up and filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store