Educating MFK on Africans!

fornost

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2012
Newfoundland
Okay well thats good, what you can do it you need help is see if you can get a picture of the fish (if you have a camera or phone camera?) and post them in this forum and we can help you ID them. If not maybe try and find a google picture and post that up for an ID or something. The Mix tanks usually have mbuna - depending on the tank mates there are some you may want to avoid. Good Luck!
I have some pictures of some Africans my wife bought for my son. I have no idea what they are, I have looked and found nothing really like them. I think they were sold as a pair but it looks like they are different to me. It also looks like the one with the big fins is nipping the other, i notice that part of the other one's tail is missing. As he has lost interest in them i have inherited them and would like to do the best for them.
Can anybody help?
2013-03-23 12.44.00.jpg 2013-03-23 12.44.42.jpg 2013-03-23 12.47.59.jpg 2013-03-23 12.47.21.jpg

2013-03-23 12.44.00.jpg

2013-03-23 12.44.42.jpg

2013-03-23 12.47.21.jpg

2013-03-23 12.47.59.jpg

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I have 5 jacobfreibergi, not sure how old they are or whether I how many males/females I have...can you help? Also, I've been thinking about adding some lemon jakes...would they work with the jacobfreibergi?

Linh Nguyen

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
I would have to disagree. As it can work in a few special circumstances, as a general glossy rule it is a bad idea. I say this from experience with larger tanks. 135 and 120. I have done tall and long. I find that my haps and peacocks are in the lower end of the tank. In fact the sand area is where most smaller haps and peacocks are. Peacocks eat by picking in the sand at food they never see. They are all in the same genus because they feed the same. They use pits in their jaws to sense food in the sand. Many haps eat by sifting the sand as well. So I would say that these fish do in fact spent their time in the same areas of mbuna. The other haps are mbuna eaters. So that makes it even more difficult. Now if we are talking peaceful mbuna, well that really narrows which you can have. So as a general rule for most tank, I would say do not mix.

You are on the noise that many see over stocking and take it way too far.
As a general glossy rule, I would agree. But tank size, setup, and specific individuals IME play a larger role than this 'glossy' rule. MY experience - every Malawi (mbuna, peacock/hap), with tangs, with every class of CA/SA. Everyone is 'fine'. If they're mating, I assume they're 'happy'. Setup is a 300g with lots of rockwork and fake vegetation anchored to substrate/rocks and floating on the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store