Dec 20, 2010
san diego
What type of fresh water eel should i get

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If by freshwater eel you mean spiney eel.. which isn't an eel at all.. What tank size? and how much care are you willing to give? Spiney eels can be challengeing to keep.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Laticauda;4820281; said:
You shouldn't get an eel, you should get a Bichir. Way cooler, and still "eel-like" in the serpentine way!
Says the girl who just a few days ago posted a thread about whether she should get an eel or bichir. Guess you're a bichir lover now, eh? Don't shoot eels down, they're awesome too! Try keeping both before you give out advice. ;)

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
aclockworkorange;4820615; said:
Says the girl who just a few days ago posted a thread about whether she should get an eel or bichir. Guess you're a bichir lover now, eh? Don't shoot eels down, they're awesome too! Try keeping both before you give out advice. ;)
Oh, I do intend on keeping spiny's. Just not yet ;)

I see how easy my bichir is, and this guy seems like he's new to these as well. I already have true eels, so I'm in no hurry for spiny's. But they certainly are cute as a button :)

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
EmrePekdeniz;4821643; said:
I have both spiny eels and bichirs, baby to juvenile size. Bichirs are a lot more active and a lot easier to feed. Go with bichirs unless you can undertake the extra effort.
Bichirs aren't half as active as a tame spiny eel. Of course yours aren't going to be all that active since you've only had them for a matter of days, but give them a few months, and they'll become very active and 10x as interesting as most bichirs. And they are actually not at all complicated to feed IME, unless you have a 30"+ monster to feed (but any fish that size is going to be a pain to feed).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store