El Dorado

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Second time I see a school. Looks great!

FWIW, Arapaimag (Michael Bryce) says this is the nastiest fish out of all he has kept. I got one for the first time about half a year ago from Rapps. Grew from 4" to ~10" in 240 gal with all other outlaws - purple labeo, black sharks, Prochilodus lineatus, and Asian USD catfish, and just went into a 4500 gal. We'll see.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Second time I see a school. Looks great!

FWIW, Arapaimag (Michael Bryce) says this is the nastiest fish out of all he has kept. I got one for the first time about half a year ago from Rapps. Grew from 4" to ~10" in 240 gal with all other outlaws - purple labeo, black sharks, Prochilodus lineatus, and Asian USD catfish, and just went into a 4500 gal. We'll see.
My schools been going strong for the last one year, started with 6 @ 2.5" size, now they 8-10", but lost one to my oversight, it got wedged in a hollow driftwood, and got injured, I moved him into a tank, with not so good a cover.

Nasty, would be one other way to put it, I find them extremely energetic and hungry at most times, most of their energy, can be put to good use, by adding a water jet in the tank.

Keeping them well fed is another good option, because once they get hungry, they go berserk.
I have seen them rip out chunks of wood, from the tank hood.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Your hood is wooden?

Sorry, I was curt. I think Michael meant nasty to tank mates.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Your hood is wooden?

Sorry, I was curt. I think Michael meant nasty to tank mates.
yup I have pine wood hoods on most of my tanks, doesn't spoil and looks nice, it's heavy and easy to fix lights to and has doors designed in place.

Mine have been doing well with smaller Cichla

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Does it not leach out toxic oils and tar into water? It's not easy to soak them all out of the coniferous because they are not water-soluble.

Yours and mine are still small. I believe Michael's warning is something to keep in mind always.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Does it not leach out toxic oils and tar into water? It's not easy to soak them all out of the coniferous because they are not water-soluble.

Yours and mine are still small. I believe Michael's warning is something to keep in mind always.
Nope, the wood is out of water, and is coated with Polish and then the varnish lock.

Yup mine are still very small, don't know, how they would behave in another year. Although now they are alone as a group, with an Adonis and plan to add a 9" motoro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store