Electric Blue Acaras

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Hello, I have been gone for a while and am setting up a 55 gallon tank. I started checking LFS and found electric blue acaras. I am considering getting a group of them, see if anyone pairs off.

Would 5-6 EB acaras be too many for a 55? BTW the asking price here is 20.00.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Probably be ok till you get a pair then you may have to move the others. I did the same thing a few months ago and now I have about 150 EBA and no buyers. Just have a plan for the fry when it does happen.

Reactions: tlindsey

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
I have a few LFS that I can contact about taking some fry. It will be a while before I can get going anyway. 20.00 is a lot of money for 1 fish. Still working on getting my 55 ready. I still need a cover, filter and gravel. Would EBA's do better with a sand type substrate?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Substrate doesn't matter much to these guys. They will dig though so if you use sand they may spit it near a power filter intake so that could cause problems with your filters. Sand can ruin a filter impeller pretty fast.

I guess 20 dollars may seem high, but its all relative.
Ten bucks is kinda of high for a hamburger but people pay that and more.

At least the fish will be with you for a while and if they spawn you can easily make your money back.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
I'm used to diggers, all cichlids seem to like to do their own decorating. It is a choice between EBA's or Nicaruagan cichilds, but I think I'll go with the EBA's. Not as big as nics, and should be fine in a 55. Maybe someday, I can get a 75 set back up and just keep a breeding pair and still have plenty of room for the fry.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Last Friday, I bought 2 EBA's. I really hope they are a pair. I'm not going to get anymore of them, just grow mine out to full size. With them, I have 2 pink kissers, 6 zebra danios(soon to be snacks, I already know), 2 platys, 5 cories, a albino bn pleco, and a Raphael cat I haven't seen since I turned it loose. SAM_0074.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store