Electric blue jack dempsey male breeding with Blue/Gold gene female wild color.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Wondering if it's a good ideal, because i've been having problems growing out the fry. Some not all make it to a half an inch then thin out and die. I had a group from a Platinum male and blue/gold female and they where all doing fine till around two inches then slowly dropped dead. The wild color and gold fry did really well and growing fast as all hell. I guess it's because the female carry both gene's and so do the male. They aren't related by the way. I suppose that makes the electric and platinum fry hard to raise, because of weak genetics. But for some reason i'm not trying to give up just yet. I know people will say get a blue gene and i know. I like to see something more colorful if i can do it that way. One more attempt and i just might get a blue gene. What do you guys think?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Wondering if it's a good ideal, because i've been having problems growing out the fry. Some not all make it to a half an inch then thin out and die. I had a group from a Platinum male and blue/gold female and they where all doing fine till around two inches then slowly dropped dead. The wild color and gold fry did really well and growing fast as all hell. I guess it's because the female carry both gene's and so do the male. They aren't related by the way. I suppose that makes the electric and platinum fry hard to raise, because of weak genetics. But for some reason i'm not trying to give up just yet. I know people will say get a blue gene and i know. I like to see something more colorful if i can do it that way. One more attempt and i just might get a blue gene. What do you guys think?
Ask AKBlueJacks AKBlueJacks

Reactions: YankeeJack

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Will do celebrist, if i see him on and thank you. If anyone else have personal experience please post.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
May I ask what you are feeding them and the frequency of your water changes? If you are getting them to breed, you have the hard part figured out. They should be doing just fine at the 2 inch stage.

When I was doing this earlier, I used to try to keep all of the fry. It's just not realistic unless you have ten 55-gallon tanks at the ready --- so it is important to make sure that they are not overcrowded.

Send us some tank parameters and pics, I'm sure we can help!

Reactions: AKBlueJacks

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
May I ask what you are feeding them and the frequency of your water changes? If you are getting them to breed, you have the hard part figured out. They should be doing just fine at the 2 inch stage.

When I was doing this earlier, I used to try to keep all of the fry. It's just not realistic unless you have ten 55-gallon tanks at the ready --- so it is important to make sure that they are not overcrowded.

Send us some tank parameters and pics, I'm sure we can help!
+1

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Do you separate them as soon as you can tell the platinum/blue/gold/regular from one another?

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Sorry been busy lately. I do water changes like every three days. Nitrite 0.. Ammonia 0 and the pH is around 6.5 or so. I keep the heater on 78.
I do keep the wilds in a different tank. The grow outs are in two different 40 gallon breeder tanks. The Platinum male was an extremely fast grower and died randomly in the 65 gallon. Never seen a platinum or electric outgrow a wild like he did. He out competed every fish in the tank for food as well. I was more or less leaning towards genetics with him. I'll see if i find pick of him. I now have the female with an electric blue male with two batches. They breed like every two weeks. So i'll see how this run goes. The photo's is the new male i grew out while i had the platinum.

Resized_20181230_204147.jpg

Resized_20190303_164131.jpg

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
The one in the top photo on the right was his tank mate. It's a beautiful electric female. She's on the other side of the tank.
Not the breeder female on his side. Will post pics of her when i get a chance. I'll also post picks of my wilds and gold's from the same batch i grew out in a different tank while the electric and platinum fry just passed away.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
The fry i feed hatch brine shrimp. The grow outs in the 40 breeder i started them out with the same then moved on to frozen brine and blood worms ever now and then. When they were bigger hikari cichlid gold mini pellets. I have like a hundred from the father in the photo all colors like the platinum male i had with the female before him.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store