Electric Catfish Ph

ARKproject

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
Taking the advice from a previous thread, I've decided to isolate my guy to his own tank. I've designed the tank, very basic, Sand, Driftwood and a few rocks. I've been really considering adding a few large Almond Leaves as I like the contrast and look of the large dark leaves laying on white sand.
Of course, my biggest concern is the fish. I have read a few conflicting articles on what Ph I should maintain, and im wondering if anyone with experience thinks adding the almond leaves will be a bad idea (Ph being considered)?

Any advice is appreciated,
Thank you

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Taking the advice from a previous thread, I've decided to isolate my guy to his own tank. I've designed the tank, very basic, Sand, Driftwood and a few rocks. I've been really considering adding a few large Almond Leaves as I like the contrast and look of the large dark leaves laying on white sand.
Of course, my biggest concern is the fish. I have read a few conflicting articles on what Ph I should maintain, and im wondering if anyone with experience thinks adding the almond leaves will be a bad idea (Ph being considered)?

Any advice is appreciated,
Thank you
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...lmond-leaves-in-aquarium.531424/#post-6357468

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
kendragon kendragon

I've never used any leaves or driftwood in my tanks. They will lower your pH but how this affects pH stability, IDK.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My biggest concern is how sensitive this species is to slightly lower ph
This fish or almost any fish we keep are fine in neutral pH=7, slightly acidic pH down to 6, and slightly basic pH up to 8, conditions.

It's the pH instability that would stress them out, from slight discomfort to shock and death, depending on the speed and magnitude of pH swing.

Once a keeper starts to maintain an artificial pH, there appears to be many possibilities introduced to mess it up.

Again, I have never done that, only read of the experiences of others. Many do it all the time and their fish are fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store