Electric Eel Compatibility

mkh1337

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
New York
I know generally speaking Electric Eels are best kept solitary and end up killing most tank mates, but does anyone know if you could keep a small electric eel with a small electric catfish long term? I haven't narrowed down which species of electric catfish it is yet as Im having issues posting pictures.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
An E eel's voltage output is twice that of an E cat. Will likely result in a fried catfish if placing the two together. Add to that the fact that male E eels become highly territorial as they mature it would indicate that the pairing shouldn't be attempted. BTW, your question asks about small specimens over long term. There are no long term small E eel specimens.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
They get enormous, by the way, and are capable of putting out high frequency pulses of 600volts. I read that reverse osmosis water muffles this, as conductive metals are not present in ro water. No idea how accurate this is, as there are many more variables at play in a home aquariums than simply water.

Its almost compulsory to wonder how it must feel to be capable of generating such powerful electric currents with your body. The human system does utilize electricity in its normal functions, of course. But to command an additional sense? What in the hell is that like? Maybe summoning the current is a similar sensation to the one that we experience when flexing our muscles--like its just a capability that you know you have. Flex your bicep right now--simple, right? Not really. There's a hell of a lot going on there in truth--things that would seem unfathomable to an 'outsider' with the ability to analyze. Said outsider would be a rather abstract being, naturally.

Haha I can imagine the little juvies trying it out for the first time and thinking, oh that's neat, I'm a bad electric eel. I have a sixth sense and can send death pulsing out of my body. NBD, cichlids. At least 50% of your population is vibrantly colored.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Hahaha very interesting thought! I dunno why you decided to go on a rant like that, no offense, but it made me laugh. I'm a bad electric eel! Haha classic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
If this is talk about electrophorus electricus..i would go away from it..saw 5ft specimen from 1ft away (through the glass ofcourse..wanna see it really close ;) ) and that fish is scary as hell :) not to mention its requirements :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mkh1337

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
New York
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have been more clear as to what I meant, but I was asking about keeping two (currently) small specimen together long term as in letting them grow up together. I'm aware of their size capacity as well as their ability to release pulses exceeding 500volts and am in the process of preparing for the eventuality that this baby will be a monster. I have also read that ro/di is a somewhat safer choice (for the keeper), which would make sense as it lowers conductivity by removing solids from the water. I intend on testing this theory eventually with a volt meter but don't want to induce unnecessary stress on the fish transferring him back and forth between tanks, although I'm sure it would be significantly easier now while hes small. For anyone interested in keeping electrophorus electricus, your best bet is to look into Class 0 (at the minimum) elbow length insulated electrician gloves as they make feeding and transfer notably safer - and to my understanding grounding probes will not remove their charge from the water because it returns to their bodies as part of something like a closed loop system.
Getting back to the original question, Oddball seems to have closed the case on this one for me as it was the catfish that I was really uncertain about and am now aware housing them together just wont work - thank you.
And thanks for the laughs, it isn't the first time I've tried to imagine whats going on in a fish's head and you came pretty close to what I would imagine a baby electric eel would be thinking the first time he pulsed - if it wasn't an accident and didn't scare the living hell out of him lol.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I am still trying to find a fish that I can keep with an electric eel. I do not have an eel yet but my LFS is supposed to be trying to get me one.

mkh1337

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
New York
I'm beginning to accept that they're pretty much a species tank kind of fish, which given how interesting they are I find perfectly acceptable.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
You can have it as a "wet pet" if you can house tank that is big enough ;) add roots and plants..nothing would be more wicked then adult elec. eel coming out of the jungle ;) "WOW!!" effect granted ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mkh1337

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
New York
That's likely whats going to end up happening. I have a 500g acrylic tank at my disposal that I accepted wasn't going to be big enough for my Bagarius the day I bought him, but I'm thinking it could likely house a relatively large eel ;) we're planning on hooking speakers up to his tank by the time he hits 1' so we can hear every time he pulses...because why not lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store