Electric Eel Help

leskoluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2017
I’m getting an electric eel soon and I’m pretty sure I’m ready for one except for one thing. The seller I’m buying it from keeps it in a large plastic tub. Sort of like a big clear storage bin. He told me that when he keeps them with filtration, they lose their slime coats, get infections, and die. I don’t want to keep mine in a tub, I want to keep mine in a large tank where I can actually view it. Anyone know anything about this?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I’m getting an electric eel soon and I’m pretty sure I’m ready for one except for one thing. The seller I’m buying it from keeps it in a large plastic tub. Sort of like a big clear storage bin. He told me that when he keeps them with filtration, they lose their slime coats, get infections, and die. I don’t want to keep mine in a tub, I want to keep mine in a large tank where I can actually view it. Anyone know anything about this?
That sounds strange. Probably best to use a very diffused flow from the filter, since lungfish are found in rather stagnant places in nature.

And high five for the right subforum :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn’t sound right. Not sure if there’s a water quality issue or the batch of fish is a little sick or something. Small e-eels are sensitive and this can be seen with them. That’s why not so many small e-eels less than 12inches are brought in. Anyway, post som pics when i get it. Get rubber shoes.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Doesn’t sound right. Not sure if there’s a water quality issue or the batch of fish is a little sick or something. Small e-eels are sensitive and this can be seen with them. That’s why not so many small e-eels less than 12inches are brought in. Anyway, post som pics when i get it. Get rubber shoes.

Great advice about the rubber shoes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the advice guys, the e-eel that I’m getting is 36 inches already so I was pretty confused when he said that.
Maybe nothing more than stress. It’ll cause slimecoat issues and potentially die.

Reactions: leskoluke

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just put it in a shallow tank or indoor pond with lots of floating vegetation, filtration isn't as important as water change

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Keep covered in case considering shallow tank or pond. Least amount of handling.

leskoluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2017
Do they actually get 8 foot in captivity? I’ve seen somewhere that they usually only get around 5 ft unless they’re at a public aquarium or wild.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do they actually get 8 foot in captivity? I’ve seen somewhere that they usually only get around 5 ft unless they’re at a public aquarium or wild.
They’ll likely get 4ft to 5ft. They grow fast so plan to start with a big tank and go from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store