Elephant Nose Fish Dying

fishman1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
I believe that my elephant nose fish is slowly dying. I had it for about 2 months and it never ate much so I'm going to assume that the cause of it's death is starvation, however if anybody has other theories that would be greatly appreciated. As of right now it seems to be very slowly swimming around on its side. Should I just put it out of its misery now or wait and see if it pushes through? Or should I move it into another tank and attempt to feed it, however I believe it may be past that point. Thanks guys

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I believe that my elephant nose fish is slowly dying. I had it for about 2 months and it never ate much so I'm going to assume that the cause of it's death is starvation, however if anybody has other theories that would be greatly appreciated. As of right now it seems to be very slowly swimming around on its side. Should I just put it out of its misery now or wait and see if it pushes through? Or should I move it into another tank and attempt to feed it, however I believe it may be past that point. Thanks guys

Welcome to MFK I suggest calling your lfs's in the area and see if any carry live blackworm's they may trigger Elephant nose to eat.

Reactions: kno4te

fishman1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Welcome to MFK I suggest calling your lfs's in the area and see if any carry live blackworm's they may trigger Elephant nose to eat.
I called all local pet stores none have it. I guess I'm just going to have to flush it :(

fishman1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Maybe it has ich? I would like asap help tho because I spotted two of my serpae tetras with something that I believe is ich.

IMG_2540.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like ich. Heat and salt. Temps upto 86 degrees. Add salt 1 tsp per gallon. Repeat salt again in 12hrs if tolerated. Repeat salt dose again in another 12 hrs. So total will 3 tsp per gallon. Gotta keep like this for a little over 10 days even after spots disappear. Add pump or powerhead to get oxygen into the water.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Qt the fish if able. Plants won't like the salt and other fish sensitive to salt.

Post in the disease section.

Man vs fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2017
Ich will persist for 6-8 weeks in it's larval planktonic form, moving your fish to qt for 10 days and then back into a tank full of ich won't solve anything

Reactions: Chub_by
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store