Elodea turning light then dying. Help!

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California

I got some elodea because it's supposed to be hardy and grow fast. I keep it at room temp (usually 60s sometimes warmer) and some of the plants have been turning light, and gradually rotting and dying. I have some in my betta containers-it seems like they do OK unless they are covered by a dark top (not getting enough light?)

BUT the picture I posted is a 10 gallon out in the open, it should be getting plenty of light, now the elodea is dying. There's no fish or anything else right now. What am I doing wrong?:swear:

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Your elodea actually looks like egeria densa, a different plant that does better at slightly warmer temperatures which might also hint why it’s “melting”.
looks like a temperature issue so far with nothing more to go on.
What temps did it come from at vendor?
Is the temperature stable or fluctuate widely/ quickly/often?

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Your elodea actually looks like egeria densa, a different plant that does better at slightly warmer temperatures which might also hint why it’s “melting”.
looks like a temperature issue so far with nothing more to go on.
What temps did it come from at vendor?
Is the temperature stable or fluctuate widely/ quickly/often?
I don't know. But I have a small chunk that is in my betta bowl, at room temp, same temp as the others, and its very dark green and growing healthily. I don't know why that is thriving but the rest are dying

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store