Emergency 911

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Please guys help me with my EB JACK DEMPSEY,i have already lost one and this is the second one who is not eating food.i have already done my best in medication part,gave him Levamisole tab metrodizole tabs etc etc.,but no change in its behavior,he sits at the base of the aquarium and does nothing!! I HAVE ALREADY LOST ONE PLEASE HELP!!!

IMG_20180308_234041.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Is the tank cycled? What are the parameters? Do you have a liquid test kit?
Amm
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Temp

When did you just get the fish? Do you have any caves for them to hide in? JDs are pretty reclusive and like to hide a lot, especially as juveniles.

Reactions: Hendre and tlindsey

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
It looks like there might be a couple things wrong.
1: In the photo, I don't see any hiding spots for him. Like the person above me said, JDs love a good cave or two. You don't even have to buy a new one. Just take some of that cool looking rock you have there and pile it up (make sure its nice and stable) into a little cave.
2: This may seem trivial, but I see it a lot and it seriously stresses the fish out. The bright pink sand is a big no - it tends to reflect a lot of light back into the fishes' eyes, and stresses them out (to fish especially fw fish, bright colors usually mean stay away - plus, its unnatural and could make them feel like they aren't in their natural habitat.) My dempsey loves the white marine type sand I bought for him/her. They sometimes sift through it like geos.
3: Your water has that "new tank" look to it - not cloudy, but it has a blueish milky sheen to it that I only see in new or just cleaned tanks.
All in all, your tank looks well oxygenated, but it's too open for a cave loving fish. You can also try live or frozen bloodworms - mine adores them - or even brine shrimp, live is best. Guppy fry work too. If he takes them, start to feed dry or dead food with the live or frozen food to entice him to wean off. Good luck! He's adorable, and I hope you get him to start eating.

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are you a beginner fish keeper?
EBJDs are notoriously fragile, and not a beginner fish.
It seems the line breeding used to favor color, has somehow reduced their hardiness, and ability of their immune system to cope, making them especially vulnerable to any small lapse in a fish keepers skill.
So if as others have asked, your tank isn't completely cycled, or its water parameters are even slightly out of line, they will probably drop like flies, and succumb to things any hardy fish tolerate daily.
Do yours have any tanks mates?
EBJDs don't do well with other fish, especially other cichlids.

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
First of all thanku guys for all your replies,and i have as you all said just put some rock caves for hidingbut the whole problem goes on as it is..he is still not eating food at all!!..just watches thr food and ignore it!!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Do you have a test kit? What are your parameters? Is it a new tank, or a fully cycled one?

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Yesterday i have done 50℅ water change.. because the debris in the sand was alot!!..and i just thought it would be great for him..since he is not eating food for about 10 days now

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What are you trying to feed it? At that size I would try cichlid flakes. If 5hat don't work try some frozen blood worms, my fish love them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You still haven't said if your tank is fully cycled or not?????
At start up, it usually takes at least a month if not longer, to cycle a tank, before you would add anything but fish you expect to die..
And cycling doesn't mean add water, turn on a pump, and wait.
It means a large enough colony of ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria must be cultivated to keep the water from becoming toxic to fish. If you haven't done those things, its no surprise the EBJDs aren't doing well.,

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Is the tank cycled?
Do you have a liquid test kit?
Are you a beginner fish keeper?
Do yours have any tanks mates?
Hello; The above questions have not been answered. No you do not have to answer, but without this basic information we are pretty much guessing about the problem. Good luck anyway.

the debris in the sand was alot!!..
Hello; One more question. How deep is the sand bed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store