Emergency Help Needed

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Think I would be looking to put in a MB bath, 3 times a day for 30 minutes. hole like this nasty, septicemia becomes a worry. I would also be looking into an exotic pet vet. Money and one in your area being an option.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Think I would be looking to put in a MB bath, 3 times a day for 30 minutes. hole like this nasty, septicemia becomes a worry. I would also be looking into an exotic pet vet. Money and one in your area being an option. one thing for sure will not be a quick heal.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
wow that is a nice hole. The nice thing is the body does like to heal. The clean water and salt is a must. I would do the iodine daily if not too hard to handle. He looks very sizable. Bringing him to a vet wouldn't be a bad idea. You can get injectable antibiotics (to inject him) and don't have to worry about your filter. Is he still eating? We can also make a gel food or get antibiotics to stick to pellets to make a feed. If you want to treat the water column the previously recommended antibiotics are good or consider a sulfa based antibiotic.

The MB is a good recommendation but not sure it is necessary on top of everything else.

Reactions: kno4te

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have been following the thread. I have no additional suggestions about the treatment of a wound.
I do have a question. Do you think the hole is caused by a parasite? That was my initial impression. I am not sure of this however.
If it is caused by a parasite that brings up two questions. Did the parasite make the hole and leave or can it still be in the hole?

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
He is still eating pellets. He is just under 18". He's in the 125 now and can just turn around. I had him in an 1100 gallon pond. The wound started as what looked like a scrape, so I'm guessing the scrape just got infected. The wound is not terribly deep. The head of a Qtip does not disappear in it.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how is he doing? what did you decide to do antibiotic wise?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store