Emersed bichir

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
So I'm sure everyone looking at this section of the forum has seen the project where the lady kept some bichir in a very small amount of water, basically just keeping them wet, to encourage development of their forelimbs to aid in walking. I believe that was with sens. Not that I plan on it, but could this be done with much larger species? I personally would be freaked out by a big angry ancient mudskipper.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yes all have the equipment to do so. Sens are the most readily bred poly. I am guessing that is why they were chosen in that experiment. They can "walk" from one body of water to another in nature already. They don't need to be trained to do so. But the experiment did show how fast they can adapt to living emersed. There was another video I haven't seen in years where a guy had some in a tank that way part land. He fed them on land and they had holes to get back to water. I so wish I had that video or knew where it went I can't find it anywhere.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Polys aren't my main fish of choice so this information is unknown to me and quite surprising, can someone provide me a link to that study done by the woman?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Fascinating.....

Reactions: twentyleagues

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I believe those bichirs raised more on land had an adapted walking strategy and better developed pectoral muscles than their aquatic brethren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store