Emersed setup

lordpaladin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2014
Philippines
Hi all,

I would like to try propagating anubias and bucephalandras in an emersed setup.
Can those 2 species live in that setup?
what is the recommended lighting and number of hours? Im planning to buy 1 30W LED bulb in a timer for 8 hrs...
For the substrate, can I use regular garden soil or the ones already used for planted aquarium setups?

thanks!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Anubias can grow in almost any conditions, but if they came submerged and you then try to immediately grow them as emersed then you'll need to make sure humidity is kept seriously high in the tank or the leaves may dry out (same with bucephalandra)...

Bucephandra plants can also be quite hardy but depends a lot on which species of plant you choose, as some of the more exotic Buce can have a tency to melt before growing again, add to the fact they are even more slow growing than anubias and that equates to very long time before they will probably break your water surface depending how deep the water is...

For soil, i dont see why something like organic miracle grow wouldnt work if it was capped off with something to keep it in place...

Specialized aquarium soil may help a bit more in nutrients but willalso naturally cost more as well...

Lighting is hard to say, depends on the K rating of the bulb etc, but that should be enough since its not being grown in a submered setting???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store