Empty 75g..

CBGPrehistoric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2018
Cincinnati
I just freed up one of my 75g by moving my turtles to a tote. Looking for ideas. Any and all are welcome. I have good local sources for rare fish. I’m into prehistoric fish but am looking at all options. Help me out!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Senegal bichirs! That's what I keep in my 75, there are a few poly species that would work in there!

Off the top of my head Polypterus delhezi and P senegalus are the two most popular options for smaller tanks, with reedfish also able to be thrown in the mix. Lots of fun in my experience :)

CBGPrehistoric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2018
Cincinnati
Senegal bichirs! That's what I keep in my 75, there are a few poly species that would work in there!

Off the top of my head Polypterus delhezi and P senegalus are the two most popular options for smaller tanks, with reedfish also able to be thrown in the mix. Lots of fun in my experience :)
I definitely would if I didn’t already have a poly tank!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I hate giving others advice about what fish to get, because its all subjective, like what is beautiful, or the taste of food.
But some of the isolated lakes in Africa have very unique species that are found no where outside of that small lake, have evolved strategies like no other place in the world, there is a cichlid in Lake Barumbi mbu that in its natural habitat that primarly eats fresh water sponges called Pungu maclareni
(no pic) and another from the same lake, called Stomatepia pindu (below)that has cepahilic pits on the side of its head to detect prey in the mud as it jams its face in.

There are fish from Lake Bermin with extra hemoglobin because of the constant volcanic burping of gases that reduce oxygen levels in the lake, and show high red coloration.
Below Coptodon bythobates only found in tiny lake Bermin

All the species above would fit in the abbreviated quarters of a 75 gallon tank.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
African bullfrog:)

CBGPrehistoric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2018
Cincinnati
I hate giving others advice about what fish to get, because its all subjective, like what is beautiful, or the taste of food.
But some of the isolated lakes in Africa have very unique species that are found no where outside of that small lake, have evolved strategies like no other place in the world, there is a cichlid in Lake Barumbi mbu that in its natural habitat that primarly eats fresh water sponges called Pungu maclareni
(no pic) and another from the same lake, called Stomatepia pindu (below)that has cepahilic pits on the side of its head to detect prey in the mud as it jams its face in.

There are fish from Lake Bermin with extra hemoglobin because of the constant volcanic burping of gases that reduce oxygen levels in the lake, and show high red coloration.

All the species above would fit in the abbreviated quarters of a 75 gallon tank.
Those are incredible. I may have to look into those a bit more. Thanks!

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
These look really interesting! I'm setting up a new 75g this weekend and also wondering what to do with it. It's going to be planted so unfortunately these guys probably won't work for me (according to this article: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/tilapia-coptodon-bythobates).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Polypterus delhezi, and maybe Bosemani rainbowfish and/or rainbow cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store