Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi all,

First post so if I break some rules here, I apologize for that. However I have been keeping fish for several years and like to think I'm not completely stupid. Anyways-

I have a female Red festae (terror) that I have quarantined into a 15 gallon hospital tank for a duck lips (Columnaris) infection. I noticed the initial onset of swollen lips in my main tank (240 gallon mixed cichlids). I assume it was triggered by lip lock with someone else. Since quarantining the fish, I have treated with metronidazole 250mg/ praziquantel 75mg per 48 hours along with 1 mL melafix daily for comfort.

Initially, I believed the infection to be clearing up since this started 8 days ago. However, the festae's facial structures have become more and more deformed to the point that I do not believe recovery is possible. However I wanted to get a second opinion before pursuing clove oil euthanasia because other than the absolute awful looking facial injury, the fish is otherwise Healthy (ish). By this I mean he is swimming normally, no fins clamped, not breathing hard, skin looks normal outside of the infection. Top picture is current. I believe the upper mandible is not fully connected and thus may make recovery impossible. The second picture is 2 days after initial infection. The last picture is baseline normal health prior to infection. So my question is recovery possible or am I simply extending the inevitable?

image0 (1).jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Scary to think that such a big fish like that hasn't outgrown susceptibility to diseases like that. Never out of the woods

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store