Eurobracing your DIY Glass tank

Saintnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Oh so there is a central brace at the middle of the tank. I'm guessing that if this were removed, as I would like, then I'd have to do the 12mm? Thanks for your time and patience too! It is being most appreciated.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Oh so there is a central brace at the middle of the tank. I'm guessing that if this were removed, as I would like, then I'd have to do the 12mm? Thanks for your time and patience too! It is being most appreciated.
Yes there is one cross brace. Ive got some smaller tanks that only have the brace along front and back.

Saintnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Yes there is one cross brace. Ive got some smaller tanks that only have the brace along front and back.

Ok so let me finalize in my head. A 137cm x 55 x 60 tank will be good with 12mm glass and only top Eurobracing and no center brace? Any idea of a safety factor? I can calculate without the Eurobrace but I don't know how much the brace adds.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ok so let me finalize in my head. A 137cm x 55 x 60 tank will be good with 12mm glass and only top Eurobracing and no center brace? Any idea of a safety factor? I can calculate without the Eurobrace but I don't know how much the brace adds.
Yes just bracing along front and back adds alot but i would not go without the crossbrace at all IMHO. One centerbrace adds alot to the safetyfactor. And it is quite practical when putting glasslids and lets say an led.

Reactions: TexasMFK31

Saintnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Yes just bracing along front and back adds alot but i would not go without the crossbrace at all IMHO. One centerbrace adds alot to the safetyfactor. And it is quite practical when putting glasslids and lets say an led.

Aargh! The not wanting a center brace was the whole point of thickening the glass and doing Eurobracing. My current reef tank has a center brace and it blocks so much light that no matter how clean it is, it casts a noticeable shadow. The tank will be only 22 high. Aargh!

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Aargh! The not wanting a center brace was the whole point of thickening the glass and doing Eurobracing. My current reef tank has a center brace and it blocks so much light that no matter how clean it is, it casts a noticeable shadow. The tank will be only 22 high. Aargh!
You can do it without but its your call. I think my 120x45x50cm tanks are built out of 8mm glass and only having brace front and backpanels. No centerbrace.

15743402912532945776681253125885.jpg

Saintnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Oh ok. Sounds like we aren't too far off then are we. Thanks for the help. Gonna cut the main pieces and wait a day or two more to see if we get some added confirmation. You guys know big tanks. Just want that added confirmation that someone has done it and it's safe. Oh, by the way. Side pieces on top of the bottom glass or at the sides?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Oh ok. Sounds like we aren't too far off then are we. Thanks for the help. Gonna cut the main pieces and wait a day or two more to see if we get some added confirmation. You guys know big tanks. Just want that added confirmation that someone has done it and it's safe. Oh, by the way. Side pieces on top of the bottom glass or at the sides?
I always build at the sides of the bottompanel.

Saintnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Noted. Mine is built like that but have seen it the other way but without explanation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store