Ewurm

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Hello I might be going to start a clown loach tank soon. So I read the thread in this loach section. The question is where is ewurm.? You can just delete the question and just message me in private. Thanks.

Also I can't view ewurm blog so it is best to just delete it and ask another senior member or 3 to post a blog with different styles so beginners can choose which filters or sand / baretank we can try. Thank you very much.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Can people with clown loaches post the pictures and filters, setups equipment . I am just taking it slow. And don't want to make a mistake. Thanks

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
A very basic warm tropical fish to keep really. They grow biggish but extremely slowly. They grow to 4" noticeably fast but after that it's pretty slow. Groups of 5 or more are best. They are very social so the more the merrier. If you get them small, expect to lose half of them. They are all wc still afaik, and shipping and storage is too much stress for a lot of them. Stable clean water is all you need. they like deco they can hide in like pipes, but they won't hide a lot really only if stressed or bullied. Not really any special equipment needed, they like flow so a wavemaker would be a bonus to help them come out and play but it's not necessary. Will tolerate any tankmates that won't hurt them(except for snails, snails wont last long with clowns.)
The best part about them are the antics, from playing dead to loopdie loops it's all fun. THE MORE THE MERRIER!!!!! Seriously the more of them you have the more they play.

P.s. expect to have a few mild heart attacks when you see this:

IMG_0063.JPG

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Oh yeah, if you keep clowns you will have an ich outbreak(kind of like young oscars it's inevitable). Fret not because they are quite possibly the easiest to cure. They are quite tolerant of heat so 86-90 degrees, some salt, an extra airstone, a couple really good water changes for 2 weeks and they'll beat it everytime. Quarantining newcomers is almost a must, or you'll do battle with ich every time you add to them.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Chockful O Phail Chockful O Phail .. hahaha.. after years of keeping them I still often have heart attacks!!!
I've grown a bit accustomed to it now, but occasionally one(specifically the one in the photo) will do it for so long and so convincingly that I'll get up and go get the net and only when I start to scoop him up will he swim away. Most of the others will only do it till I move closer to the tank. The one in the picture let me scoop him up once and only flopped around when I took him out of the water. If you're patient, most of the time you can see their gill plates move a little.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Yes it's going to get about 2 to 3 months to finish the project. So I am not in a hurry. My metal stand is an eye sore. 10 years old. Time to update it. It is not to level. The 180 Gallon aquarium is ok. But also an eye sore. May or may not replace it. Will use a 50 gallon aquarium 1st for a bunch of clowns which will go to another 180 Gallon aquarium.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Chock how gallons aquarium do you have and what wavemaker liters per hour are you using?

Also is anyone here doing baretank ?
Might put some of the more peaceful red severums here with clowns. I have 3.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
21 clowns in a 180. I had considered a wavemaker when I setup the tank last year but the pump I'm using put out so much that is was blowing the fish around the tank. I changed the outlets and now the current is still strong just diffused enough where it's not irritating them. Still strong enough that the clowns love to play in it.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/poop-problem.681451/

I posted a thread in cichlid forum. Some suggested a wavemaker too. 2000 liter per hour. It is the weakest I can get.

I have a 180 gallon tank too. What are you using? I have an overhead filter and an internal filter filled with ceramics. My currents are weak and perhaps that is why I am getting dead spots. Can you show your pump output rate and picture. I can still experiment on this tank 1st. I will try to duplicate the positions...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store