Experienced aquarium builders. Need advice on a old used 60gal

bruster

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Danville VA
I picked up a free 60gal aquarium from a friend. It's an old Odell aquarium dimensions 48x17x16. It needed a good cleaning and probably needs resealed. The trim is beat up and cracked and I can find any replacement for it. Is it possible to remove all the trim and not worry about it breaking a seal? There is a center brace attched. I attached a before and after photo it does hold water as well

20200418_221312.jpg

20200419_172844.jpg

20200418_221312.jpg

20200419_172844.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you do a good reseal and since it is braced, you may be ok without the rim. But it is a big maybe, if it busts that could be very damaging to your home. Personally wouldn't risk it when 75 gallon tanks can be had 80$ brand new.
If you do decide to go for it, I would get another piece of glass cut and double the bracing, to be sure. Also leak test extensively outside before bringing in. If it's going to be a garage or basement tank, that would be smarter.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Had a similar situation on 75gal. planned to remove all the trim. Was advised that it would be fine without trim as long as it was placed on a "leveling mat".

I ended up passing the tank to someone else as new 75gals have a tremendous amount more piece of mide in my living room. The new owner did a basic reseal and let it ride with the failing trim. She has had no issues in a couple months now.

If money/time are not an issue Id remove the trim and have some glass cut to brace the ends that match the center braces thickness. Would be a more ascetically appealing tank than a standard black plastic trim as well as more sound as rimless with just the center brace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store