Experienced kamfa keepers.

PaoloFH

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
hi guys! can you share your experiences in grooming kamfas? do's and dont's, special grooming techniques you do to them and what are the outcomes. I've groomed a lot of zz but it i don't have a much experience when it comes to kamfa. I'm grooming kamfas right now and im getting frustrated coz I feel that im not doing good at it. I have this one kamfa, think he is less than 3" and im not seeing any potential kok, I love his colors tho. your suggestions and advise will be greatly appreciated. thanks MFK! :)

Justchill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Wow, that’s one nice kamfa. Grooming kAmfa is pretty much the same as zz. Good water, food, mirror or parrot training is always the key. It just take a little more patient, that’s why they’re worth more. Yours is still under 3 inches, you can’t expect much of a kok. Most don’t start showing until 3, which urs look like it is. At around 5 inch is when u should start worrying if nothing is showing. He’s a beautiful fish regardless.

aria

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
Dallas, Tx
I see potential in that kok! mine is about 2.5 inches still ive had in for about 2 weeks now as well and I have seen a pretty big improvement in his kok growth. currently I'm feeding okiko platinum but his next staple will be cz help for mixed breed. I do mirror play 3x a day for 20-30 minutes. I feed blood worms every night as well. Remember that kamfa are harder to groom and they take longer to develop the kok you see in your ZZ etc.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Kamfa takes a while for the kok to show up. In my experience, i put the kamfa on small tank like 10-20 gal to start with, the smaller the tank the lesser for it to move so u can focus on the kok. Genes plays a good role too like 60-70%. Some new gen kamfa shows there kok at 1-2 inch then the lesser the grooming time. Patience plays a part too when grooming kamfa coz they tend to be slow growth than zz.

PaoloFH

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Wow, that’s one nice kamfa. Grooming kAmfa is pretty much the same as zz. Good water, food, mirror or parrot training is always the key. It just take a little more patient, that’s why they’re worth more. Yours is still under 3 inches, you can’t expect much of a kok. Most don’t start showing until 3, which urs look like it is. At around 5 inch is when u should start worrying if nothing is showing. He’s a beautiful fish regardless.
ooohhh ok. I think the best thing i can do is to have more patience. haha! thanks for sharing your insights. HFK! :)

aria

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
Dallas, Tx
I usually feed him until I see a bulge in his belly, usually 15 pellets i'd say for the 2 sessions and then I feed blood worms at night. they are the medium sized pellets.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Don't over feed with pellets, they are harder to digest and can cause bloating for flowerhorn. You might wanna try pellets in the morning and bloodworms in the evening. Making the belly bulge aint good too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store