Experiences with New Zealand eels?

Mister-Blister

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
The longfin eel (Anguilla dieffenbachii) to be more precise. Has anyone here kept them, or knows anyone who does? I am interested in experiences with them.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
A little lemon and butter, wrap in tinfoil and place in the embers of a bonfire for few hours....

Being a NZer that's my main experience with our eels! They can get incredibly tame even in the wild, there's one on a mtb trail I've ridden that's been there for well over ten years and always comes up to beg for some food when you stop. It's at least a metre long and as thick as your arm. I imagine in a suitable tank (big, well filtered, cool water) they could make good pets but IMO they're probably best left in the wild.

eel1.jpg

eel2.jpg

Mister-Blister

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
A little lemon and butter, wrap in tinfoil and place in the embers of a bonfire for few hours....

Being a NZer that's my main experience with our eels! They can get incredibly tame even in the wild, there's one on a mtb trail I've ridden that's been there for well over ten years and always comes up to beg for some food when you stop. It's at least a metre long and as thick as your arm. I imagine in a suitable tank (big, well filtered, cool water) they could make good pets but IMO they're probably best left in the wild.

View attachment 1407025

View attachment 1407026
They are pretty resilient. I had the chance of seeing australian longfins up close, very bold and with scary feeding response

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
England :)

View attachment 1407025

View attachment 1407026
This is amazing! Very lucky to live in such a wonderful part of the world!

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
These are short fin eels that have been with me for 2 years.. but I believe they are very very similar to their long finned cousins. The yellow one is about 3ft while the darker one is a few inches longer.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
These are short fin eels that have been with me for 2 years.. but I believe they are very very similar to their long finned cousins. The yellow one is about 3ft while the darker one is a few inches longer.
Cool were these the same ones rod(predatory fins saw at your house??

Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store