Experiment replacing Papyrus w Hydrcoyl as a nitrate sponge

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Its been about 2 weeks since the Hydrocotyl was first added.
Some of the original leaves have deteriorated (to be expected) but the stems are sending out new ones.
View attachment 1470600
View attachment 1470601
Its been raining continuously (rainy season norm), but enough so that the sump is overflowing into the yard.
View attachment 1470602
That happened with me. It was pouring for a good few hours, and one of my patio ponds started overflowing into the wooden barrel. I was out there siphoning water in the pouring rain so the barrel didn’t rot from the water or something like that. This was a month or 2 Ago. Cool experiment! Which one do you prefer? What would you recommend for my Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra tank? Its 55g, filled up 3/4 of the way. It has Anacharis, coontail, the beginnings of Giant Water Snowflake, Water Lettuce, and Water Hyacinth. All the plants are flourishing. But I want a plant like cattail to go above the water line and stick up out of the tank. Substrate is sand. The amount of light it gets is minimal, only a few hours a day because there is a big tree hanging over it. Its on a homemade stand, and has about 4 feet of room until it hits this overhang of my house. What plants? Would papyrus work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store