Extra Aggressive, or Normal?

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Wow, so even with a tank that big there is still controversy. If you still have this situation in a tank that big maybe it's my fault. I have been frequently giving my Blood Parrots snacks as well, so maybe he's thinking every time I come to the tank it's feeding time? Just digging deeper into maybe my problem past tank size even while that's also a big problem. Thanks so much for sharing!

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Wow, so even with a tank that big there is still controversy. If you still have this situation in a tank that big maybe it's my fault. I have been frequently giving my Blood Parrots snacks as well, so maybe he's thinking every time I come to the tank it's feeding time? Just digging deeper into maybe my problem past tank size even while that's also a big problem. Thanks so much for sharing!
In my tank I only have chasing when food is present or he thinks food is present Lol! If he doesn't think there's food he is chill, but I purposely chose fish that wouldn't compete for territory with him. I have all bottom feeders only the catfish guards a hide under some driftwood from the yoyo loaches, but my BP isn't interested in his area.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
In my tank I only have chasing when food is present or he thinks food is present Lol! If he doesn't think there's food he is chill, but I purposely chose fish that wouldn't compete for territory with him. I have all bottom feeders only the catfish guards a hide under some driftwood from the yoyo loaches, but my BP isn't interested in his area.
Same with my Blood Parrot, but recently I've been giving more treats than often so they associate me coming up to the tank with getting food lol! But I've snuck up on them to so what they're doing and have not caught them fighting except when i'm around. I also have tank-mates that pretty much are chill, I have a Golden Severum.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I did something similar with my predator tank, I selected fish that occupy different areas of the tank, and the fish from different areas don’t really interact with each other

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
It's quite possible to work in an African tank because of the sheer number they are kept in, well over 7 cichlids. With SA and CA, it's difficult to keep that many without something else happening first, either a fish snapping and killing everything or disease. New Worlds can't handle the stress of that many tankmates within the confine of an aquarium.
That’s true, I usually have no fewer than 25 in my rift tanks. I tried with a green severum and it worked for a few weeks, but then went back to being a jerk and I ended up trading him for large syno

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
With a few exceptions, I don't consider most cichlids aggressive in the proper sized tanks, but in too small tank, any and all will get aggressive.
I've kept over 100 different species over the years, from dwarfs to P-bass and dovii.
I consider oscars pussy cats in the right size tanks, and red devils only mildly aggressive, as long as there was sufficient territorial room and any of the so called "terrors" (green or red) only moderately aggressive in the proper size tank.'
Of the medium to large size cichlids I believe Heterotilapia buttikoferi is wackiest no matter what size tank under 300 gallons.
Of the small cichlids Neetroplus nematopus can be quite aggressive, against other cichlids 4 or 5 times its size.
And Coptodon bythobates are up there when spawning.
I had a pair of bythobates that would hunt down another fish in the tank, and bring its carcass to its fry for food, and then do it again when the fry polished that carcass off. When fry were raised, it became another pussycat

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
With a few exceptions, I don't consider most cichlids aggressive in the proper sized tanks, but in too small tank, any and all will get aggressive.
I've kept over 100 different species over the years, from dwarfs to P-bass and dovii.
I consider oscars pussy cats in the right size tanks, and red devils only mildly aggressive, as long as there was sufficient territorial room and any of the so called "terrors" (green or red) only moderately aggressive in the proper size tank.'
Of the medium to large size cichlids I believe Heterotilapia buttikoferi is wackiest no matter what size tank under 300 gallons.
Of the small cichlids Neetroplus nematopus can be quite aggressive, against other cichlids 4 or 5 times its size.
And Coptodon bythobates are up there when spawning.
I had a pair of bythobates that would hunt down another fish in the tank, and bring its carcass to its fry for food, and then do it again when the fry polished that carcass off. When fry were raised, it became another pussycat
Don’t mean to hyjack the thread, but do you think buttikoferi would be ok with tank mates in a 300G plus tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Don’t mean to hyjack the thread, but do you think buttikoferi would be ok with tank mates in a 300G plus tank?
"Maybe"
I suppose it depends on the tank mates.
I'd be hesitant try with other cichlids, unless I considered them reasonable collateral damage loss.
Maybe something like those large Carp like barbs, or Labeo's that inhabit the same riverine habitat.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
"Maybe"
I suppose it depends on the tank mates.
I'd be hesitant try with other cichlids, unless I considered them reasonable collateral damage loss.
Maybe something like those large Carp like barbs, or Labeo's that inhabit the same riverine habitat.
Ok thank you, I’m getting ready to upgrade my buttikoferi tank and one other tank and was thinking they would all look great together in a big enough tank, but I’m not gonna take the risk of losing any of the others

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store