EXTREMELY RARE! (In a aquariums) Cavefish info

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
So i have a 10 gallon with everything set up in it...... Except there's nothing alive in it except the bacteria and a small mosquito larva from another tanks water, which I don't know how, but it got in there. I have found next to nothing on the cavefish, otherwise known as rice fish or rice ditch killifish. The fish doesn't really look like a killifish at all and i'm not sure their related either but i'm planning to MAYBE get one. (I live in NC so I KNOW i'm not going to get one ordered or at an lfs because of their extreme infrequency on the market. So I'll have to go jump in a lake somewhere. Luckily, I just bought a set of dive goggles. They don't seem to be to hard to care for from the little info if gotten but I was just wondering if anyone here had any info to share. Anything will be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So i have a 10 gallon with everything set up in it...... Except there's nothing alive in it except the bacteria and a small mosquito larva from another tanks water, which I don't know how, but it got in there. I have found next to nothing on the cavefish, otherwise known as rice fish or rice ditch killifish. The fish doesn't really look like a killifish at all and i'm not sure their related either but i'm planning to MAYBE get one. (I live in NC so I KNOW i'm not going to get one ordered or at an lfs because of their extreme infrequency on the market. So I'll have to go jump in a lake somewhere. Luckily, I just bought a set of dive goggles. They don't seem to be to hard to care for from the little info if gotten but I was just wondering if anyone here had any info to share. Anything will be appreciated.

The only fish I know of is the Blind Cave fish that was not that rare when I was younger lol.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Oh my goodness!! I didn't mean cave fish! I meant SWAMPFISH. I've also had a recently discovered blind fish making its way into the aquarium trade on the brain. Man I feel like an idiot. By the way.... Why are you always the first person to respond to my threads?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh my goodness!! I didn't mean cave fish! I meant SWAMPFISH. I've also had a recently discovered blind fish making its way into the aquarium trade on the brain. Man I feel like an idiot. By the way.... Why are you always the first person to respond to my threads?

Lol you are not an idiot.

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Swampfish are fun. Don't require much like you said. But a 10 gallon tank may be too small. These guys get huge...at least all the species that come to mind.

Reactions: tlindsey

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Oh you mean the eel looking swamp fish? No, not those (although I would absolutely love one) . Can you pull up pictures from the internet and post them? Sorry about so many questions i'm a thirteen year old fish keeper but this I'd my first forum.

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
I think you need to find out what fish you have or post a picture of it for us to help you. So far...we know it's in North Carolina...and you said it's not a cavefish but a swampfish...then not. You've given a lot of info on what it's not. But we need some discription of the species to tell you what it is. Size, shape, color, etc.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Sorry about the little info, When I said can you pull up pictures from the internet to post them, I was asking if you knew how, because I don't. Heres some more basic info on the fish. Family: amblyopsidae, genus: chologaster, species; cornuta, upper half is brown, lower half is salmon pink, whole body lined with three prominent black stripes running the whole course of the body and one goes over the eyes, they also have a pink blotch in front of their pectoral fin. Sorry to be so wishy washy but apparently it is related to the cavefishes, and aquaria central is a liar. they are the only ones in their genus, and only species in their family to have functional eyes, highly sensitive to light and touch these are a nocturnal species that feeds off of small inverts. I'm not sure about much else.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Okay I just found a lot more info on another thread(It wasn't an mfk thread). They live in virginia to georgia and everywhere east from there.They grow up to 2 inches will eat bloodworms, and are not very good swimmers at all. They need soft current in the water but like high oxygenation. Would an airstone work? There is very little personal experiences with them, but they don't need alot of room, although 99℅ of the time they die with tank mates. I don't know if there can be multiple of their kind in the same tank which would be nice to know. Mainly all I want know now is can they be fed frozen bloodworms (my black ghost knife could stand a diet), what would be a good way to add extra oxygen without flow, are they good with plants, how much tolerance for materials and minerals in the water such as plant fertilizer or freshwater salt, and last but not least any personal experiences. I know I probably won't get many answers but I will take any info I can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store