Extroverted Plecos

fisheb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2013
OH
Are there any species of plecos that don't hide most of the time? I would like to get one that I can actually see. thanks

Reactions: Backfromthedead

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Some plecos are just shy.
I have a green phantom that is only seen during water changes.
I’ve got an L024 and a Spiny monster that stays out constantly.
I have also noticed that a lot of plecos are more shy when they are young but as they get some size and age they stay out more.
I would recommend picking one that fits your setup and other stock and give it plenty of time.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
With the exception of titanic, most of my pseudacanthicus are very active.
All of my royals are active
L95
L14
L253
L128
L200 high-fin
L75
Rhino

If you don't have any, try adding a nice school of dither fish. It may help.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
The L14 in my tank is always out

PlecoGuySam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2019
The most experience I have with plecos are the Commons and Chocolate Albinos. I just started with an L240/L007 about a couple weeks ago, I'm not 100% on which one it is. I haven't had any that stayed hiding for very long periods of time except for the L240/L007(He only comes out for food). You may not like the Commons or the Chocolate Albinos for how big they can get, but Royal Plecos or Bristlenose Plecos might be a good choice. I really don't have any experience with those two, but from what I've seen, they don't seem to be very shy. If you don't mind the size, Chocolate Albino Plecos are real nice, they get a little longer than a foot and tend to be more out in the open than other types of plecos, same thing with the Commons. Commons can get pretty big too, but I have yet to see one get that big. I have several young Commons alongside a foot long Common and a Chocolate Albino that's a bit larger. What size aquarium do you have?

Reactions: BigShawn

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
If you have several of the same type, they may interact with each other. My flash L204 are out and about and displaying at each other. Also conversely if you have enough hiding places they will feel confident to explore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store