face biting

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hey gang. Just got a beautiful 6inch WC delhezi from WS two days ago. She is in with a 8-9 inch moke. Originally I thought they were BFF because of all the piling and swimming that was going on. However, after 24 hours of being in the new tank, the Moke has bitten the del on the face(under her jaw) and shredded her tail. Day two, the moke is biting the del on the face and shaking her....and biting her pec fins and shaking her. She has been doing this multiple times.

I'm not really sure what to do? should I rehome one of them? Put up a divider? Put the del in quarentine? Will this behavior stop? Worried the moke is going to eat/kill the del. Is this just the dominance behavior they display when a new poly enters the territory( changing of social hierarchy) or is this possible a life or death scenario?

Moke is being super aggressive. I thought all of them were supposed to get along. Pinky the albino is also up at the top a lot. Moke ate the 2 inch delhezi I had in there. 3 glo-danios and now one of the green tiger barbs is all ready gone.Any help would be appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn't look to bad. The hierarchy is needing to be re-established. Should eventually settle down.

It can be resolved by adding more ploys or places to hide. I think some ceramic logs may help.

Keep an eye if it's looking much worse then may need to separate till healed up.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey gang. Just got a beautiful 6inch WC delhezi from WS two days ago. She is in with a 8-9 inch moke. Originally I thought they were BFF because of all the piling and swimming that was going on. However, after 24 hours of being in the new tank, the Moke has bitten the del on the face(under her jaw) and shredded her tail. Day two, the moke is biting the del on the face and shaking her....and biting her pec fins and shaking her. She has been doing this multiple times.

I'm not really sure what to do? should I rehome one of them? Put up a divider? Put the del in quarentine? Will this behavior stop? Worried the moke is going to eat/kill the del. Is this just the dominance behavior they display when a new poly enters the territory( changing of social hierarchy) or is this possible a life or death scenario?

Moke is being super aggressive. I thought all of them were supposed to get along. Pinky the albino is also up at the top a lot. Moke ate the 2 inch delhezi I had in there. 3 glo-danios and now one of the green tiger barbs is all ready gone.Any help would be appreciated.

You have to remove the aggressor because it will continue to attack. The Del wil recover with the water conditions you are already providing .

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Doesn't look to bad. The hierarchy is needing to be re-established. Should eventually settle down.

It can be resolved by adding more ploys or places to hide. I think some ceramic logs may help.

Keep an eye if it's looking much worse then may need to separate till healed up.
yeah, I'm just a little worried with the moke putting the delhezi's face in her mouth. And you can't really tell from the pics but pec fin inside is bloody and top of the head is bloody.

last two pics of them snuggling were from day 1 lol. Yeah the clamping down on half her face and dragging her and shaking her by her pec fin has startled me quite a bit. Especially cause the bloody spots have increased.

When you say adding more polys(I'm guess one that is similar size to the moke?) Albino also has some bit marks on it over the past week. The log route might be cheaper. I'll hit up walmart.

You have to remove the aggressor because it will continue to attack. The Del wil recover with the water conditions you are already providing .
I put the moke in solitary confinement....aka uncycled 10 gal quarentine.....My mom actually set it up cause she was worried I'd come home to half a del. Moke is in that tank and PISSED. Well to be fair, she was also pissed in the 55g after adding the del. Meanwhile, del is gentle as can be.

As far as what to do tomorrow, idk. Maybe I should get a divider. In a perfect world, I'd like them to all interact with each other peacfully. I guess I'm just confused because the moke seemed fine with the smaller 3 inch polys...well I guess she ate one, but you know what I mean.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
yeah, I'm just a little worried with the moke putting the delhezi's face in her mouth. And you can't really tell from the pics but pec fin inside is bloody and top of the head is bloody.

last two pics of them snuggling were from day 1 lol. Yeah the clamping down on half her face and dragging her and shaking her by her pec fin has startled me quite a bit. Especially cause the bloody spots have increased.

When you say adding more polys(I'm guess one that is similar size to the moke?) Albino also has some bit marks on it over the past week. The log route might be cheaper. I'll hit up walmart.

I put the moke in solitary confinement....aka uncycled 10 gal quarentine.....My mom actually set it up cause she was worried I'd come home to half a del. Moke is in that tank and PISSED. Well to be fair, she was also pissed in the 55g after adding the del. Meanwhile, del is gentle as can be.

As far as what to do tomorrow, idk. Maybe I should get a divider. In a perfect world, I'd like them to all interact with each other peacfully. I guess I'm just confused because the moke seemed fine with the smaller 3 inch polys...well I guess she ate one, but you know what I mean.

You could try the divider because I can tell you don't want to part with the Moke.☺

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Good choice removing the moke. Let the del heal and move the decor around. Maybe add a few cheap sens to use like dithers. That del is really nice. If that doesnt work remove all the decor.

Try a divider too. Get some eggcrate easy to work with and can use suction cups on each side of the divider to hold it in place or check out walmart they havw cheap algae magnets

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I'm so sorry this is happening. :(

That sounds like pretty hefty aggression. I also think good call removing the Moke.

I'd be curious what would happen if you did add a couple of Sens. If the albino has bite marks, she's beating the crap out of the Del, and she ate the small Del I just don't know. I'm not convinced it will do anything other than disperse the aggression but maybe it would work.

Sometimes you get a jerk fish. I got a jerk Palmas that I had to rehome - she was hurting my Del. My Del, Moke, Ropes, and Polli are all gentle and accepting. Teug is nippy but not full out aggressive. You just never know with fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store