*Fact Sheet* Ceylon Puffer (Tetraodon Fluviatilis)

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
HTML:
Ceylon Puffer (Tetraodon Fluviatilis)

Family: Tetraodontidae

Order: ?

Class: ?

Origin: South and South East Asia, India, Bangladesh.

Common names: Ceylon Puffer, Green Puffer, Topaz Puffer

Maximum size: About 8". Mine has topped out at about 7" in a 55 gallon tank to himself.

Temperament: Aggressive. Will not tolerate tankmates. Likes to hunt. Mine will attack anything that enters it's tank, including fingers.

Environment: Can live in fresh water with a high PH for the first few years of life, but must slowly be introduced to brackish. Can increase salt by 0.002 per weekly water change. Can live in full marine once full grown. Mine sits at 1.020. My puffer is almost 5 years old.

pH: High PH, anywhere from 7.8-8.4, but keep it constant.

Temperature: 76-84

Description: This puffer has a great personality. It will recognize it's owner and come to the front of the tank when entering the room. It almost seems to "smile". It has beautiful brown/green/yellow markings and a gorgeous white underbelly. It can change it's color quite drastically when in different moods.

Feeding: Crustaceans, hard shelled foods to keep constantly growing beak trimmed. Snails, earthworms, red wigglers, home raised feeders ( I use convicts, give him a good "hunt"). Crayfish are the best.

In the home aquarium: They make for a great "wet pet". Their personality is amazing. They require everyday feeding when young, but only every 2-3 days once they've reached adulthood. They should be introduced into a fully cycled aquarium. As with most puffers, they are very sensitive to nitrates, so weekly water changes of 50% are suggested. A tank of 40 gallons or more is suggested for one specimen.

Diseases: The Ceylon Puffer is susceptible to all diseases other fish can contract. When treating the any puffer it is important to lower the dosage to half because it has no scales.

Information and photo courtesy geronimo69

*Photo*

geronimo69.jpg

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Looks pretty good.

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Tetraodontiformes

according to wikipedia. So a slight disclaimer would be needed.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
J-P;4792490; said:
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Tetraodontiformes

according to wikipedia. So a slight disclaimer would be needed.
Alright thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store