Fahaka Puffer Parasite

Calvin4924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2018
A month ago I purchased a 1" baby fahaka puffer from my LFS. For the first two weeks or so it ate really well and maintained healthy weight. A week ago I noticed it start developing the following symptoms:

-losing weight rapidly
-acting much more lethargic than usual
-white stringy poop
-refusing food

I treated with what I had on hand at the time which was prazipro and soaked blood worms and frozen shrimp with minced/crushed garlic. He ate small amounts of the garlic food and is back to his usual responsiveness whenever I am near the tank but is still skinny and doesn't eat much food at a time (seems to spend more time playing with it). Yesterday I added some small half inch ghost shrimp and He chases them but I haven't seen him attempt to eat any of them yet.

Any tips on getting his weight back up and possibly solve this pickiness?

Temp is 80 degrees
ph 7.2
ammonia between 0 and 0.10 ppm
Nitrite and nitrate both reading at 0

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Keep deworming him for around a week to see how he goes, coz IP’s can be a real PITA to get rid of...

from there its just a matter of feeding him slightly more food and a little more often, i.e once a day with maybe one day of fasting inbetween...

also, since blood worms are mainly just water you can try feeding your puffer stuff like live black worms kept in a container so they dont’t get everywhere in the tank or even night crawlers... that should help put more weight onto the puffer a little quicker than just blood worms... you can also gut load the night crawlers by feeding them good quality pellet so your puffer get extra nutrients...

the shrimp are a good idea for him to chase but if hes lethargic he may not have the energy to chase them down...

eitherway way good luck with your puff and keep us updated ??

-edit-

just saw that hes a 1” so would feed live black worms as an alternate to blood worms as a food source...

Reactions: Deadeye and kno4te

Calvin4924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2018
Keep deworming him for around a week to see how he goes, coz IP’s can be a real PITA to get rid of...

from there its just a matter of feeding him slightly more food and a little more often, i.e once a day with maybe one day of fasting inbetween...

also, since blood worms are mainly just water you can try feeding your puffer stuff like live black worms kept in a container so they dont’t get everywhere in the tank or even night crawlers... that should help put more weight onto the puffer a little quicker than just blood worms... you can also gut load the night crawlers by feeding them good quality pellet so your puffer get extra nutrients...

the shrimp are a good idea for him to chase but if hes lethargic he may not have the energy to chase them down...

eitherway way good luck with your puff and keep us updated ??

-edit-

just saw that hes a 1” so would feed live black worms as an alternate to blood worms as a food source...
Awesome. Thanks for the information. Ill make the trip to pick some up tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store