Fahaka puffer substrate

GimpDaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi guys and gals! I know a fahaka puffer is supposed to have a sand bottom but can they live with a pea gravel substrate? What would it hurt? Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys and gals! I know a fahaka puffer is supposed to have a sand bottom but can they live with a pea gravel substrate? What would it hurt? Thanks for your advice.
twentyleagues twentyleagues
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Reactions: Fat Homer

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
They like to bury in sand from time to time and tend to rest on the bottom alot. Gravel may irritate their bellies. And Kolton13 Kolton13 may have a good point also, they are messy eaters.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sand imo is just easier to keep clean compared to gravel...

it may look messier because everything sits ontop of it but it definitely makes life easier cleaning it too coz things dont get trapped between the gravel itself...

yemista7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2020
What about pool filter stand? Would that work? I heard fine grained sand is hard to keep clean and gets everywhere in the water column

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What about pool filter stand? Would that work? I heard fine grained sand is hard to keep clean and gets everywhere in the water column
i used to use very fine grain sand, the trick is just to make sure the water outlet doesnt stir it around and give it a really really good wash before putting it in so it doesnt cloud your tank water too much...

One thing to keep in mind though is if you go more than 2-3” deep with fine sand, you will need to give it a good stir during water changes to release anaerobic gasses from building up...

But at the end of the day it really will come down to personal preference what you like and think looks good with your setup...

Reactions: Dalfrey86

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
i used to use very fine grain sand, the trick is just to make sure the water outlet doesnt stir it around and give it a really really good wash before putting it in so it doesnt cloud your tank water too much...

One thing to keep in mind though is if you go more than 2-3” deep with fine sand, you will need to give it a good stir during water changes to release anaerobic gasses from building up...

But at the end of the day it really will come down to personal preference what you like and think looks good with your setup...
Just found this one out by experience. Too much sand is more maintenance if you are not thorough with the sand vac cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store