Fahaka puffer tankmates

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I agree there isnt enough TTX on the skin to cause problems for tank mates... maybe if they swallowed the puffer whole, but just from something like biting, then other fish are pretty safe...
I stand corrected:) ive always been told to handle fahakas with caution just because of the TTX.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I think the OP has started to figure out the dilemma with keeping big fish. You want a 300 but the fish you want need 400+ or multiple tanks. You either build bigger, build more, or make compromises.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I stand corrected:) ive always been told to handle fahakas with caution just because of the TTX.
Its probably better to be safe than sorry based on the amount needed to kill someone, but i would imagine that would only happen from handling a puffer IF you had a minor cut on your hand somewhere and just so happen to have got the TTX on that area which led into your blood stream (in other words, quite unlikely but possible)...

Another good example is to look at the Japanese chefs that prepare fugu for their clients daily, none of them wear gloves and they literally cut into the whole fish and touch some of the organs with the highest concentration TTX and show no ill effects that can be seen...

Hopefully that puts your mind to ease a little ;)

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Its probably better to be safe than sorry based on the amount needed to kill someone, but i would imagine that would only happen from handling a puffer IF you had a minor cut on your hand somewhere and just so happen to have got the TTX on that area which led into your blood stream (in other words, quite unlikely but possible)...

Another good example is to look at the Japanese chefs that prepare fugu for their clients daily, none of them wear gloves and they literally cut into the whole fish and touch some of the organs with the highest concentration TTX and show no ill effects that can be seen...

Hopefully that puts your mind to ease a little ;)
Haha it sure does. Its not to often i put my hands in my fahakas tank due to his biting and tasting personality.

arosky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Colorado
Right now I have my 2 inch fahaka puffer with 3 cichlids that im going to get rid of and i wanted to know if this would work in a 300 gallon tank

Fahaka puffer
Jardini arowana
Black tropical gar
Spider kelberi peacock bass
Spotted gar
Platinum red tail catfish

Sadly best answer is to try and hope for the best and have a backup tank or game plan for when things don’t work.

Reactions: tlindsey

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Not worth the risk. I've seen communities with fahakas in them "that work". Every other fish in the tank had bite marks and chunks out of their fins.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Right now I have my 2 inch fahaka puffer with 3 cichlids that im going to get rid of and i wanted to know if this would work in a 300 gallon tank

Fahaka puffer
Jardini arowana
Black tropical gar
Spider kelberi peacock bass
Spotted gar
Platinum red tail catfish
Fahakas are very intelligent and even more temperamental. My Fahaka tolerated some bumblebee cichlids but killed anything else. It’s hit and miss with Fahaka tank mates, mostly miss. I removed the bumblebees cuz even though he didn’t kill them, it was obvious he didn’t like having them around and he did do some fin trimming while eating. If a bumblebee would steal a peace food, he would sulk in the corner for hours. Now that he’s alone, he’s much more active and has great personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store