Failed reseal question

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
I have a 55 gallon that I bought used. Held water for three months and started leaking. I removed the silicone (looked like it had already been resealed before) and applied a new seal. Tested it and it started leaking again in the same spot. I then noticed it looked like the glass had bulged out ever so slightly on that side. The frame looks fine (no cracks) but would this likely be due to needing a new frame or the sealant not holding? Have resealed a half-dozen tanks and have never ran into this before.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Generally speaking the frame doesn’t hold the tank together. It does however hold the tank up so as to eliminate pressure points on the bottom and for the top if there is a center brace helps to support the center of the tank from bowing out.
I would suspect that the silicone between the glass is at fault.
Can you get a picture of the problem area?
Other than that I would guess the tank needs a complete tear down and rebuild.
What type silicone did you use?

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Thanks. Used RTV 100 series silicone. I think your guess is correct and that it is the silicone between the glass. Not looking forward to taking it completely apart.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Id hit that dollar a gallon sale for a 55. Less than $100 out the door and a lot more piece of mind. Not to mention a lot, lot less time.

Reactions: jcarson

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Got this one for $30, so I'm not too broken up about it. Was just a fish room tank, nothing for display. I mostly feel bad sending any tank to the dump. Could use it as a mini-greenhouse outdoors, I guess, but a bit heavy to bother.

Reactions: jcarson

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The tank may be a good candidate for use as a sump.
Old tanks that leak at full volume, may be fine at half or 1/3 (if cause is the push of heavy outward pressure).
I have sometimes used them as sumps, just take them outside, add water, and see how full you can get before they start to leak.
If not too scratched up, they may also be of use as a palludarium.

Reactions: dent20 and jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store