Farm hybrids

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Its the coloration that makes me suspect that not the tail look of it. It is the golden glare and speckles. But one can only speculate about it.
You can’t go off coloration. The reason I say that ocell, monos, plez, also have the gold and greens. If it had kel in it you’d see some hint of spangling in the lower fins or see gold spots in back top fin area but it lacks it. The reason I say no to orino is the lack of orino characteristic. Orino or kel hybrids show some sign of one or the other. Hope this helps...

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
You can’t go off coloration. The reason I say that ocell, monos, plez, also have the gold and greens. If it had kel in it you’d see some hint of spangling in the lower fins or see gold spots in back top fin area but it lacks it. The reason I say no to orino is the lack of orino characteristic. Orino or kel hybrids show some sign of one or the other. Hope this helps...
It sure helps alot. I used to have an large ocell and that didnt have gold. Same goes with my large wc mono. Its dark green and done have any gold at all in it. Green black and red on its nuchalhump. But im far from an expert on cichlas so everything i can learn is valuable.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
It sure helps alot. I used to have an large ocell and that didnt have gold. Same goes with my large wc mono. Its dark green and done have any gold at all in it. Green black and red on its nuchalhump. But im far from an expert on cichlas so everything i can learn is valuable.
Another thing to remember is that size, age, diet, surroundings, genes also play a part in color. To many damn hybrids out there these days.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Another thing to remember is that size, age, diet, surroundings, genes also play a part in color. To many damn hybrids out there these days.
That is so true. I glad i have my 5pack of wc orinos and going to pick up two more males soon.

But i find these hybrids interesting as they differ so much from fish to fish. Only known hybrids ive seen was kelrinos and ive read some thread here on mfk about kelberi x azul that looked quite nice. But nothing beats an pure wc cichla no matter the species.

Reactions: FunWow!

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Yeah there’s plenty nowadays. They’ve basically hybridized all available cichla now hoping it will be the next big thing.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yeah there’s plenty nowadays. They’ve basically hybridized all available cichla now hoping it will be the next big thing.
I would love to see pinima or temensis with orinos. But then im in love with orinos and tems and would love to get some pinimas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store