Fat Paroon

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just got this guy a couple weeks ago and he's really packing on the lbs. I feed him once a day moderately, but it looks like he's smoking big Macs while I'm not around. He is living with a black ear that seems to stay pretty streamline. I haven't kept catfish in a while and was wondering if I should start feeding every other day rather than daily.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Not much, thats whats got me wondering whether he's having trouble passing the food. He's been eating much better as of the past few days, maybe his system is just getting back to normal after shipping.

Reactions: Promae sanders

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I recently picked up a little guy to join my trio of black ears.Does your black ear tend to rub it's snout against the glass?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My black ears, actually all Pangasiids, did/do that but it looks like they go through phases. They do a lot less of it in "pondaquariums" than in aquariums but still happens.

As for the paroon - I'd not feed again until the tummy is more or less gone - a general rule for most / all catfish feeding. I mean such an overfilled tummy may be ok for short-term but may not be and, hence, I'd not risk it. I also think the tummy shouldn't be so bumpy unless this pic is snapped right after feeding.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thats what I was thinking. I am going to use a more common sense feeding approach since it seems pretty easy to gauge whether he needs it or not. I have my cichlids on a tried and true method, and from the looks of it, that doesn't translate to catfish that well.

And Richie, the Black Ear is by far the more wild fish. Maybe thats why he seems to maintain his weight. So far the Paroon is pretty relaxed, just does the usual back and forth swimming, with little to no frantic bolting no matter whats going on outside the tank. Any chance you picked up your Black Ear from Nemos? (or Natural Pet, I can't keep up with those name changes) That place is still a rip off but remains one of the best bets locally for me to find more odd fish.

On a side note, I was in Clementon for my sons hockey tournament this past weekend and stopped at Aquarium Center. They have a Nile Perch and two Goliath Tigers for sale right now. Perch was around $90 and the Gtf was $250.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice. I've never seen a Nile perch or any ATF in person at a LFS.

The logic of course depends on what cichlid and what catfish as their feeding habits vary greatly. But on average, cichlids feed more evenly while cats are more opportunistic having less regular but larger meals. Hence, a stomach of an average catfish is 10x more extendable than that of an average cichlid allowing the cats to eat themselves to death literally.

Having no scales helps in that regard greatly too. It's like catfish with their stretchy skin wear Lycra and maternity pants 24/7 while cichlids are dressed business casual.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Definitely the first time I've seen either of those two fish in person. Im always impressed by that stores stock. Thanks very much for the help as well.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Unless you trying to grow it out fast, cut back on feeding and becareful if you have tankmates that will fit in it's mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store