Favorite cat under 12"

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Hey there! Hope everyone had a wonderful Sunday!
I'd like to know what your favorite catfish is that stays under, or just slightly over, the 1 foot mark. I'm looking for ideas for a future tank with everything being built around the centerpiece catfish. Possibly even just keeping it a solo species tank depending on what I go with. Aggressiveness doesn't matter. Choices can be peaceful to completely psychotic. I plan to use a 75 gallon i already have at minimum and may possibly go with the 4ft x 2ft 90 gal.

Thanks!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Gulpers are insane!

My vote goes to raphael though. The perfect small catfish that looks somewhat like a rtc. Only issue is that you will never see it.

Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn had a blue whale cat for a bit. That was cool.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Gulpers are insane!

My vote goes to raphael though. The perfect small catfish that looks somewhat like a rtc. Only issue is that you will never see it.

Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn had a blue whale cat for a bit. That was cool.
I loved the blue whale when I had it. Such a cool fish

Hey there! Hope everyone had a wonderful Sunday!
I'd like to know what your favorite catfish is that stays under, or just slightly over, the 1 foot mark. I'm looking for ideas for a future tank with everything being built around the centerpiece catfish. Possibly even just keeping it a solo species tank depending on what I go with. Aggressiveness doesn't matter. Choices can be peaceful to completely psychotic. I plan to use a 75 gallon i already have at minimum and may possibly go with the 4ft x 2ft 90 gal.

Thanks!
Depending on where you live you could try a gymnallabes typus, they get about 9” max and are super cool catfish

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Wallace’s shoehead catfish

I truly love this species and it’s my goal to figure out how to breed them and send them throughout the world so that others may enjoy them too.
That is one funky cool looking fish! I may have to find one of these. Definitely a conversation starter here.

Gulpers!??
Haha these are awesome fish! My only thing is I think they'd eat all the other fish that fit in a 4x2 tank haha

Bolt although even a 4x2 would still be a little small for one, or a number of other catfish

I'd never heard of this fish til now. It's a cool looking fish and seem like setting up a bio tope for it would be close to other tanks I have. I'd for sure want to buy a yft tank instead of using what I have for this one since they are actually an active species of catfish. Very cool recommendation.
Depending on where you live you could try a gymnallabes typus, they get about 9” max and are super cool catfish
Oh my! Is it a monster dojo loach? And arowana? A catfish? No way thats a catfish?? Haha that's freaking awesome ? good choice. Gonna see about sourcing these for either this go round or another. Will have one eventually for sure

Emerald Corydora
Banjo
Raphael
The striped Raphael is actually the exact fish that got me down this rabbit hole. It's the number 1 favorite ATM. I was just seeing if there was anything else out there I may not know about.

The banjo is awesome as well. They are a little smaller than I want though I believe. K may get one for the wife's 55 gallon dwarf cichlid tank soon.

The emerald cory is a wonderful fish. I have a group of them In a 75 now . Ppl say oscars fast, those emerald grow faster to full adult size than anything I've seen. Great choices

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store