Feeder fish question

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I would like to give my fish feeders on occasion but I don’t want to breed my own and I don’t want to introduce any diseases. I was thinking about using a saltwater bath for feeders. I used to do freshwater baths to treat flukes when I kept salt. Think this is a good idea?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would like to give my fish feeders on occasion but I don’t want to breed my own and I don’t want to introduce any diseases. I was thinking about using a saltwater bath for feeders. I used to do freshwater baths to treat flukes when I kept salt. Think this is a good idea?
That might help with ridding yourself of some problems but salt baths wont kill internal parasites which can and would be a bigger concern imo...

in fact if your fish already accept prepared foods i probably would avoid the live route all together unless you have a reason to feed live...

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
There is no reason to feed live food to fish besides fish that will not accept prepared.

Reactions: kno4te

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That might help with ridding yourself of some problems but salt baths wont kill internal parasites which can and would be a bigger concern imo...

in fact if your fish already accept prepared foods i probably would avoid the live route all together unless you have a reason to feed live...
I agree with this. There are internal and external parasites that will not be effected by a salt bath, and sometimes take months to even become visible as an infectious agents.
With some, like the Lernea on the caudal final the tetra below, only the young are effected by salt, but adults aren't.
I had to remove each adult parasite by hand, and ....treated the tank for about 6 to 8 weeks with a 3.5ppt salt regime to stop the young Lernae from hatching out and reinfecting.
fullsizeoutput_114e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11c7.jpeg

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Frozen shrimp and other seafoods is a greatly better alternative imo. Cheaper, no parasites, sits in your freezer the list goes on and on

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019

Thanks, I’ll skip the feeders then. I just like to give the fish a varied diet and I think feeders are good on occasion since the eat the entire fish, especially when gut loaded. I’m not going to risk it though

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thanks, I’ll skip the feeders then. I just like to give the fish a varied diet and I think feeders are good on occasion since the eat the entire fish, especially when gut loaded. I’m not going to risk it though
Good decision, it's simply not worth taking the chance, only takes 1 bad feeder to potentially mess up your whole tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store