Feeding a tiny gymnothorax polyuranodon

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I've gotten myself a 12 inch eel as mentioned in the title. He is about the width of a pencil.

However, I haven't been able to feed him successfully.

I've tried chopped seafood, tubifex, thawed out mysis and have attempt tong feeding or leaving it around.

Does anyone have any experience in feeding these eels and transitioning from perhaps live prey to frozen or even pellets?

Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
888fish 888fish

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Try some live earthworms (from a "clean" source)
I have found them very good to entice reluctant predatory fish to start eating

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
It's been about 2 weeks. Last night I left a defrosted cube of hikari mysis shrimp and he did not appear to take any.

I think more attempts and more information is in order. The eel is in a 1.5 ft tank placed with a metre square fish pond with the same water.

Water quality is maintained by daily water changes. Within the tank, a bushy piece of christmas moss on driftwood and some opaque, flexible plastic tubing are used to provide shelter.

I noticed that some owners mentioned that the eels seem to be dependent on routines and are otherwise upset if changes are done. Could the constant disruption of water changes be why?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Why daily water changes, do you not have a filter?

Water changes are disruptive to a new fish. Once per week or less should be enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store