Feeding bichirs frogs or tadpoles

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
I spend a lot of time in rivers and creeks, so I run by all kinds of creatures. I was just wondering if anyone has fed cricket frogs or Ranid tadpoles to their bichirs? I don't know if theres a real risk of parasite transmission (I'll ask the aquatic parasitologist at school), but if there is, I don't want to introduce any nasties that they might not have been exposed to already. BTW, I know to stay away from toads and their tadpoles.

Just wondering, cuz this could be a free source of food, and a chance to give them a more varied diet.

wataugachicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Charlotte, NC
yes!

for the past couple years i have caught tadpoles from a pond on known property (so i knew they were not exposed to chemicals or pesticides) and my bichirs loved them. i don't know what species of frog. the ones that grew up were about the size of my pinky fingernail when fully formed. just be careful when feeding, as they may gorge themselves if you allow them free choice. keep the tadpoles separate and only feed a few at a time. ugh, and if the bichirs hit them just right, they kinda pop, which is gross. keeping them is easy, just run a low-flow filter and throw in whatever veggies you don't eat during dinner. in a high-flow situation they spend all their time struggling against the current instead of eating. don't clean the bottom of the tadpole tank completely - they ingest their own waste as a part of their diet.

_Sushi_

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
South East Michigan
{hi again watauga!!}

Please make sure to stay away from Bullfrog tadpoles!! They create a toxin so that fish won't eat them!!

The are smaller at some point, so I can't tell you the difference then, but aside from that, they get between 4-6" in length. (The one in my coldwater tank is 4.5")

Other than that, it sounds like a good idea! (supplement veggies with algae wafers, and sometimes shrimp pellets)

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
I'll be sticking with leopeard and cricket frogs, and just as a supplement. My bichirs already eat all kinds of Dainichi pellets, frozen foods, worms, and live shrimp.

Thanks, y'all.

Man Tony1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
{hi again watauga!!}

Please make sure to stay away from Bullfrog tadpoles!! They create a toxin so that fish won't eat them!!

The are smaller at some point, so I can't tell you the difference then, but aside from that, they get between 4-6" in length. (The one in my coldwater tank is 4.5")

Other than that, it sounds like a good idea! (supplement veggies with algae wafers, and sometimes shrimp pellets)

Man Tony1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
I feed mines bullfrog tadpoles all the time and they love them, the toxins they create doesn't seem to affect my birchir's, my cichlids on the other hand won't touch them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store