Feeding bristlenose...

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Just picked up a Lemondrop bristlenose and he's pretty small but out and about on driftwood this morning. Just wondering, how long should I leave blanched zucchini in tank if he's not finding it/hitting it. I secured it in substrate with a plant weight. Also going to try veggie waferslater. I know he's still acclimating but my last tiny bristlenose NEVER ate and didn't make it. I think i introduced the zucchini too late on that one. Just trying to get it right this time. And don't want to foul up my water. Any suggestions?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just picked up a Lemondrop bristlenose and he's pretty small but out and about on driftwood this morning. Just wondering, how long should I leave blanched zucchini in tank if he's not finding it/hitting it. I secured it in substrate with a plant weight. Also going to try veggie waferslater. I know he's still acclimating but my last tiny bristlenose NEVER ate and didn't make it. I think i introduced the zucchini too late on that one. Just trying to get it right this time. And don't want to foul up my water. Any suggestions?
After a day would remove it.

Reactions: Wiggie

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
After a day would remove it.
So....the lemondrop never found it...but a snail sure did. Jees he tore that zucchini up! The lemondrop hangs out on this one piece of driftwood a lot. I guess i will try putting a veggie tab up there for him to hopefully find. I also feed spirulina flake to the other fish but I cant tell if he's getting anything right now besides wood.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So....the lemondrop never found it...but a snail sure did. Jees he tore that zucchini up! The lemondrop hangs out on this one piece of driftwood a lot. I guess i will try putting a veggie tab up there for him to hopefully find. I also feed spirulina flake to the other fish but I cant tell if he's getting anything right now besides wood.
Just keep offering the zucchini and alternate with wafers. They actually have a brand of wafers with zucchini added in the ingredients.

14906138209611791896285.jpg

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Sorry for the blurry pic on the right is a slice of zucchini on the package.
lol that's ok. Just appreciate ur response. Yesterday I wedged a pice of zucchini into the driftwood he likes but it was a no go. I will keep trying. At least he is active so I know he's doing OK. Just want to confirm he's eating soon. (Not much algae on my glass to speak of also.) thanks I will look for wafers...

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Not all of them like cucumber or zucchini, it can be hit or miss. Get him on a good sinking dry food first and then experiment with veggies and the likes.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Mine love both zucchini and green beans. I just rubber band them to a rock. next day throw out any thats not eaten and replace. I see them feeding on it nearly every time I look at the tank.
I have found it takes a few days for them to find it. Feed in the same spot every time they will find it.
Mine know within minutes when fresh food is in the tank and they come swimming over.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I don't even blanch zucchinis, just raw chunk stabbed on a fork. You can get a few days out of it before it gets gross.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store