Feeding cooked/uncooked

yoimb0b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
???
So i have a fahaka puffer, and i bought some manila clams for him to eat, and i want to know if it is safe for me to cook them first (so they open up) and then give them to him?
This way they open up, i can feed him some, and freeze the rest for later. Anybody see a problem with this?

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Not really no....uncooked is always best but as long as you only steam them enough for them to open up you should be fine. It's still a LOT better than fish kibble IMO.

yoimb0b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
???
well it looks like if i just let them sit out for like 20 minutes they open up anyways, enough for me to break off the half of the shell with no meat so that works then. Thanks for the input.

richardhmc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
nyc
dont they also need the shells to sort of bite on to keep their teeth in shape?

correct me if im wrong, cant they just sort of bite the shell in half and eat it? or does it have to be opened for them?

ersico

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
SOUTH CAROLINA
i get alot of palm sized clams at the beach near where i live, typically i freeze them and thaw them out one by one in hot water whenever i decide to feed them to my tanks. they open enough in hot water for me to shuck them the rest of the way. then i take scissors to slice little pieces off to feed to the lion and wolf eel while bigger chunks get taken away by the triggers/hawkfish/damsels then i drop the shell into the tank to allow the slipper lobster/ blue crab/ hermit crabs clean the rest.......(and i save a lil bit for the spiny lobster/pinkand blue jawfish/ blue coral banded shrimp in the other tank)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store