eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
so i was talking to a neighbor the other day who has a huge pond full of koi
he was feeding them dry dog food
the fish looked healthy and were loving it
just wondering what you all thought about this. it seems to me that dog food would be high in protein and all the other things that would be needed to survive.

but is there anything in it that would be bad for fish.
just a question
mike

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I knew somebody who had a big pacu and they use to give it dog biscuits.

Timpon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sydney
Not sure about tropical fish, but dog and cat food are totally unsuitable for the long term feeding of koi.

Koi, while omnivores are unable to digest any animal fat or dairy products properly. Over time, this fat gets deposited inside the gut cavity between the organs, which then cannot operate properly, finally resulting in what is known as Fatty Degenerative disease.

When buying food for koi, make sure it does not contain meat or meat extracts. If you look at the analysis of koi food versus tropical fish food, the protein content is generally lower.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Koi, while omnivores are unable to digest any animal fat or dairy products properly. Over time, this fat gets deposited inside the gut cavity between the organs, which then cannot operate properly, finally resulting in what is known as Fatty Degenerative disease.

When buying food for koi, make sure it does not contain meat or meat extracts. If you look at the analysis of koi food versus tropical fish food, the protein content is generally lower.

Couldn't have said it better.
Proper diet is a must when keeping fish.

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
i will let the guy know about his koi
but what about cichlids and other fish say my aro
mike

metant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2006
Philippines
Not sure about tropical fish, but dog and cat food are totally unsuitable for the long term feeding of koi.

Well said. If you want your koi to live a long life. Don't feed dog food.

Honestly, I have also used dog food in my cichlid tank, the only drawback is the oil that floats on the water surface, otherwise, all the fish grew fast.

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
dog food is very very bad for your water. don't do it.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE

good post bro, i definitely agree. and also on that post about really polluting your water:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store